Help needed identifying an Omega pocket watch

Thread: Help needed identifying an Omega pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hvl

Help needed identifying an Omega pocket watch

Hi,

I found an old Omega pocket watch on sale at a local auction (in Estonia), but I wasn't able to find any information on it. I was hoping some of you could help me date it and, hopefully, comment on the authenticity of the watch.

Anyway, on the case it has a number (8486828), an Omega logo and says Acier (steel?).
    On the movement it has another number (7651854), says 15 jewels and Omega. (I haven't been able to find anything based on the movement number)
    As far as I understand it, it should be dated to 1936 (based on the case number).

It's currently at 35 Euro, and I've seen a similar one go for 65 Euro. I don't want a valuation, I just want to know whether it's even vaguely near to the value of similar Omega pocket watches.

I've added some pictures too.:thanks

Re: Help needed identifying an Omega pocket watch

It is from the 1930'ies as you suggest. For further identification the number code found under the balance would be helpful, as well as movement diameter. Check completed ebay listings for value.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

According to movement serial nuber,watch was made between 1923. and 1926..Style of the dial nad hands verifys that.As I can see,case is browned but back case is scratched,unfortunately.Nice watch for the price that is mentioned.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jedanzoom View Post
    According to movement serial nuber,watch was made between 1923. and 1926.
    Which serial number list did you use? According to the two I have available (for movements) the 7 million mark is about 1929/1930 and the 8 million mark at about 1934/1935.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    Which serial number list did you use? According to the two I have available (for movements) the 7 million mark is about 1929/1930 and the 8 million mark at about 1934/1935.

The one that was on "Omegas" official site till last year,but is no longer available.I saved the PDF in my archive and I did a good thing.According to "Omegas" archive,7 mil mark was used in 1923. and 8 mil mark in 1926.In 1934. was used 9 mil mark.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by jedanzoom View Post
    The one that was on "Omegas" official site till last year,but is no longer available.I saved the PDF in my archive and I did a good thing.According to "Omegas" archive,7 mil mark was used in 1923. and 8 mil mark in 1926.In 1934. was used 9 mil mark.
    The PDF on the official Omega site is still there although you will be linked to the older version of the site and need to be logged in:
    http://62.73.172.167/cu_vintage/img/movement.pdf
    That list still has the odd data entry with some of the years switched. The 8 million mark is at 1934 though. This is about the same as what Shugart's price guide quotes.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

The PDF on the official Omega site is still there although you will be linked to the older version of the site and need to be logged in:
    http://62.73.172.167/cu_vintage/img/movement.pdf
    That list still has the odd data entry with some of the years switched. The 8 million mark is at 1934 though. This is about the same as what Shugart's price guide quotes.

I tried to access their archive couple months ago and it wasn't possible any more,so I assumed that this archive is no longer availabile.If you take a look on that list,you will notice some chronological disaccordings.Years 1920. and 1923. are switched,and the same is with the years 1926. and 1934..Its someones lapsus calami.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Yes, the list is a mess especially since it is supposed to be an official Omega list. That's why I had a look at the general increment year by year and compared it with Shugart's Price Guide serial number list.

Lets bring on another list, Chuck Maddox was a legendary Omega expert:
    http://www.chronomaddox.com/omega_serial_numbers.html
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Yes, the list is a mess especially since it is supposed to be an official Omega list....

I wouldn't say that the list is a mass.Someone did a little mistake while rewriting but that doesn't deminish the significance of the list,couse that is finally "Omegas" official list.

Friedrich Nietzsche

hvl

I finally bought it!
    Looks awesome (it's my first pocket watch, second mechanical watch). It's quite a bit smaller than I expected, but heavier than I expected.
    The steel case has corroded slightly, but otherwise looks fine. The glass (it is glass, right?) has superficial scratches, but less than the approximate age of the watch would suggest.

I made a mistake in the first post, the movement serial number is 7651654, and under the balance wheel it has the caliber number 40.6L.T2.15.
    Oh, as a guidance for other people, I paid about 45 euro for the thing.

Anyone with any knowledge about the watch is more than welcomed to comment, because I haven't been able to find much information on the whole thing.
    Last edited by hvl; May 30th, 2010 at 08:46.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information