Help needed in identifying a Tressa watch

Thread: Help needed in identifying a Tressa watch

Help needed in identifying a Tressa watch

Hi All,

If this is not the appropriate thread to post in, moderators, kindly move it to a suitable place. I was adviced to visit the forum here and ask for your help.

I need help Identifying this watch. Link for pics https://plus.google.com/photos/10838...IqazaXklqSekgE

Here are the details of conversation I had with Ron/Alberta time

I will post it on the website u suggested. Also I tried some poking around and visited a reputed watch dealer who has been around for decades.. He was also perplexed.. He ended up concluding, taking the notorious refurbished watches that rule the roost here in India, that the case and dial are not related to the movement. Nor is the strap. And I surmised some street watch mender(FraenkIndianstein) must have changed the case dial and strap too for this watch.. Only, I guess the movement is the only genuine thing in this watch.. Hope the watch is still a value at its present condition..

Thanks for ur time. Have a great weekend.

Tejas[
    QUOTE=AlbertaTime]I'd be happy to help, Tejas, but unfortunately this watch is beyond my meagre expertise.

My Tressa has an A. Schild movement but this one you show contains a movement by Solvil and Titus. I'd *guess" the watch is from the early to mid 70s or late 60s but that's a guess.

You could post your photos on the Vintage & Pocket watches forum. The people there are much more experienced with watches of this type than I am and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

My best regards and my apologies that I could not personally help more. Please pass my thoughts to your friend on the watch. I will say that Solvil and Titus and Tressa were both very respected companies, so that -- added to the previous family heritage and ownership of the watch -- is more than enough reason for pride even without further information.

Ron / AlbertaTime

Originally Posted by tejasweemn
    Sir,

I got this watch serviced for a friend.. It did start working now after my local watch service guy oiled and did the usual things he does.

As you are an authority on watches and also a collector, wanted to ask if you could help us identify and give some info abt the watch. I know tressa and its history. But the movement etc details are not known to us. Also If you can help us estimate the age of the watch my friend would use it with pride.

Thanks
    Tejas

Link https://plus.google.com/photos/10838...IqazaXklqSekgE

Re: Help needed in identifying a Tressa watch

Hi.

I get error messages from the link. But even then, there is very little information about Tressa to be found on the internet so we may not be able to say much.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi all,

Sorry the pictures were uploaded on google + and I made the folder public.. Still there seems to be a trouble accessing those.. Sorry once again for the delay in getting those pictures.. I somehow lost both the pics as well as my google account access.. Here are the pics once again.. This time I am sticking them in the post itself..

It is for sure a baffling assembly of a different case(unknown and immaterial) a different dial(Tressa) and a different movement(Solvil and Titus_Geneve, made when they were still manufacturing in sitzerland). I just want you people to identify and let me know more about the movement. I am sure there are people with vast knowledge on watches here. Hence the question is being asked here.

Name:  DSCN2603.JPG
Views: 962
Size:  38.0 KBName:  DSCN2596.JPG
Views: 949
Size:  27.9 KBName:  DSCN2592.JPG
Views: 956
Size:  54.5 KBName:  DSCN2594.JPG
Views: 937
Size:  28.4 KBName:  DSCN2595.JPG
Views: 948
Size:  25.8 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It is indeed a Cal. AS 1950. The fact that the dial says "Tressa" and the movement "Solvil & Titus" points to a mariage ("Frankenwatch") - I can find no link between the two companies.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    It is indeed a Cal. AS 1950. The fact that the dial says "Tressa" and the movement "Solvil & Titus" points to a mariage ("Frankenwatch") - I can find no link between the two companies.

Hartmut Richter
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post

Thanks Mr.Richter and Mr.Marrick,

This helps a lot. They are one and the same. It did me good to post my query on this platform. Also,I am curious if you can date this!!?? May be its not too much to ask or may be it is!! Just asked. Please ignore if that is time consuming and you got stuff requiring your attention. My point is if someone can date this approximately, I will start digging into the watches manufactured in that time period as I know the movement used. Once I get those watches, someone in the family might identify what the watch did look like when bought. Or some local manufacturer made this franken watch and sold it as a used watch. Still, please try and date this movement. Or please try and tell me the usage period of this watch like 19XX to 19XX.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Tejas

The movement is given by Dr Ranfft as ca.1965. The style of the dial with chunky baton hands and hour markers looks late 60's/early 70's. The caseback says water proof - this term was outlawed by the USA's Federal Trade Commission in 1968 but could appear for another year or so.

My best guess would be 1968 - 1970.

Hi,
    hopefully you will also be able to identify this old watch I have.
    not really sure if its worth keeping, so maybe somebody here can help.
    thank you if you canName:  image.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  922.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  857.6 KB

The information you had about the outlawed term and thus guessing the age of the watch, Sir, is perfectly logical. Sounds good enough to me. Thank you very much again for the information. That was exactly, the kind of help I was looking for.

Thanks and Regards
    Tejas

Quote Originally Posted by tejasweemn View Post
    Hi All,

If this is not the appropriate thread to post in, moderators, kindly move it to a suitable place. I was adviced to visit the forum here and ask for your help.

I need help Identifying this watch. Link for pics https://plus.google.com/photos/10838...IqazaXklqSekgE

Here are the details of conversation I had with Ron/Alberta time

I will post it on the website u suggested. Also I tried some poking around and visited a reputed watch dealer who has been around for decades.. He was also perplexed.. He ended up concluding, taking the notorious refurbished watches that rule the roost here in India, that the case and dial are not related to the movement. Nor is the strap. And I surmised some street watch mender(FraenkIndianstein) must have changed the case dial and strap too for this watch.. Only, I guess the movement is the only genuine thing in this watch.. Hope the watch is still a value at its present condition..

Thanks for ur time. Have a great weekend.

Tejas[
    QUOTE=AlbertaTime]I'd be happy to help, Tejas, but unfortunately this watch is beyond my meagre expertise.

My Tressa has an A. Schild movement but this one you show contains a movement by Solvil and Titus. I'd *guess" the watch is from the early to mid 70s or late 60s but that's a guess.

You could post your photos on the Vintage & Pocket watches forum. The people there are much more experienced with watches of this type than I am and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

My best regards and my apologies that I could not personally help more. Please pass my thoughts to your friend on the watch. I will say that Solvil and Titus and Tressa were both very respected companies, so that -- added to the previous family heritage and ownership of the watch -- is more than enough reason for pride even without further information.

Ron / AlbertaTime

Originally Posted by tejasweemn
    Sir,

I got this watch serviced for a friend.. It did start working now after my local watch service guy oiled and did the usual things he does.

As you are an authority on watches and also a collector, wanted to ask if you could help us identify and give some info abt the watch. I know tressa and its history. But the movement etc details are not known to us. Also If you can help us estimate the age of the watch my friend would use it with pride.

Thanks
    Tejas

Link https://plus.google.com/photos/10838...IqazaXklqSekgE
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagsdownunder View Post
    Hi,
    hopefully you will also be able to identify this old watch I have.
    not really sure if its worth keeping, so maybe somebody here can help.
    thank you if you canName:  image.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  922.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  857.6 KB
    Hi Dagsdownunder,

If you completely read the initial post of mine on this thread one of the senior members Mr.Ron of Alberta time said, the fact that my posted watch is a Tressa, itself is a rewarding possession. Tressa started off in Switzerland and in 1980's it was taken over by Rado(AFAIK) I might be wrong with the year mentioned, but the history is the same. It is a good idea to keep it. In terms of value, it is not much, but is always good to flaunt it and let the history known to people who might inquire.

Thanks
    Tejas
    IMO Sir, you can keep it. Other technical details about the watch may be someone on WUS will run into your post and will share their knowledge. Sorry for misconstruction of my message, if any(not a native english speaker). Also if you just decide its not worth keeping, give it to me. I keep them watches for myself and I do not have a foriegn made watch yet except for a few from HMT(Indian mech and auto watchmaker).
    Last edited by tejasweemn; February 5th, 2013 at 05:14.

Thread Information