Help Needed Identifying Vintage Ulysse Nardin Timepiece
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By spotlizard

Thread: Help Needed Identifying Vintage Ulysse Nardin Timepiece

Help Needed Identifying Vintage Ulysse Nardin Timepiece

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here would be able to help me identify a Ulysse Nardin watch?

I have attached some photos showing the face, crown and case back, which has the numbers 4105 1 stamped on it, I lack the tools to be able to remove the back and show the mechanism.

Here's what I can tell you about it:

• It was purchased as a birthday present for my Father by my Mother, around September/October 1970 from Selfridges in London.
    • The watch was his daily wearer for 25 years
    • We have a letter from UN to my Father stating that the case is 18K gold
    • The watch has never been serviced but runs well and keeps great time. The strap shows obvious signs of wear. The photo makes the area around the glass look discoloured, however, it's really a brushed gold and just appears darker in the photo. It's in great condition. There are no other obvious dents, dings or condition issues.
    • It remained in my Father's possession throughout his entire life. When he passed away my Mother gave it to me.

I have asked this question of UN but have not heard back from them (it may take a while if they have to liaise with the folks in Switzerland) so I was curious if anyone else may know something in the interim?

My thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.

Name:  image5.jpeg
Views: 162
Size:  1.53 MBName:  image3.jpeg
Views: 158
Size:  1.94 MBName:  image4.jpeg
Views: 167
Size:  1.47 MB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help Needed Identifying Vintage Ulysse Nardin Timepiece

Welcome to Watchuseek! A lot of UNs we get here are fakes or frankenwatches so it's refreshing to see a genuine one! I am afraid I can't help you much since I am no UN expert; however, I suspect that this may well not have had a model name at all. A lot of watches at the time didn't. The 4105 is probably the reference number (which all watches have - though different makers have their own different reference number system). Since the watch apparently lacks a seconds hand and a date and is a dress watch, I would suspect a smallish Peseux calibre inside, e.g. Cal. 7000 or 7040 minus date, but I could easily be wrong on that.

If you are going to wear it regularly, I would stongly advise having it serviced, otherwise the risk of movement damage goes up. Congratulations on a nice heirloom!

Hartmut Richter

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Monetary value aside the watch has tremendous sentimental value, so a good service is high on my priorities list (together with a new band). I don't think I would wear it that often but I certainly wouldn't want to risk damaging the mechanism. My next challenge will be to find someone around here (Washington State) that I can trust to do the work (and not gouge me on the price)

Best regards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have some new information and I'm wondering if anyone may be able to help me identify the watch in light of this?

The watch movement number is 5802953
    The calibre is Peseux 7000 - 10.5"'
    The production year is listed as 1964

I've e-mailed UN here in the US but no luck as yet. I was just wondering if there is an archive that I might be able to access that would give me more info.

Any thoughts or pointers would be gratefully received.

It looks like a nice watch but I would love to see a clear picture of the front of it. Your pictures are showing up blurry for me.

Hi There,

Sorry for the poor quality (cell phone at close range in a poorly lit room). I'm attaching some images here that were shot by my local Jeweler when he had it on his bench for inspection.

Name:  UN Face 1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  498.3 KB

Name:  UN Face 2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  452.9 KB

Name:  UN Innards 1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  591.0 KB

Name:  UN Mech 1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  537.4 KB

Name:  UN Mech 2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  606.1 KB

Best regards.
    FreddyNorton likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Thanks for the piccies. Undoubtedly a Peseux Cal. 7000:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Peseux 7000

Hartmut Richter

Thank you Hartmut :) I'd like to get an approximate value (for insurance purposes) but most everyone I speak to wants me to send the watch away for appraisal. I'm really not comfortable with doing that (and besides a valuation is required for any form of shipping insurance). Any thoughts as to what it might be worth bearing in mind that it needs a good service, a clean and a new strap (or where I might be able to look at similar models)?

Best regards.

Love those vintage manual wind without second hand. I have one with Peseux 320 in pristine state, well physically that is. May be going for a full service soon. As to the value, no amount can cover for yours due to history of it. Just have it serviced, install decent leather strap and wear it with pride. That is priceless.

Thread Information