Help needed with movement identification, Gotham watch
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Badener

Thread: Help needed with movement identification, Gotham watch

Help needed with movement identification, Gotham watch

I have this Gotham watch from the 1940s and can't find the maker and caliber of the movement. Markings: Gotham Watch Co. Inc, Swiss unadjusted, seven jewels, GXI (Us import code for Ollendorff), 63826, RUNJ in a frame. Size approx. 24mm

I have seen it several times in different variations, but never any hint regarding the maker.

Here are two links to a website of a watch repairer with exactly the same movement (different number of jewels), for Ollendorff and Gotham, but no info about the producer.

https://www.clevelandwatchrepair.com...-watch-repair/

https://www.clevelandwatchrepair.com...-watch-repair/

The are falling around on eBay, this one here is marked IOCO (linked to Ollendorff/Gotham) but again no useful hint as to the maker.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ioco-Watch-...-/291997715696

Can anybody help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help needed with movement identification, Gotham watch

Oh dear! I fear that you've picked three different movements rather than just one, at least when it comes to the details. To start with the ones in your links, the first looks like some Adolf Schild Cal. AS 340 derivative, as indicated by the keyless works which are often the best way of identifying movements or separating superficially similar looking ones (although I can't find an exact match for the bridge layout):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 340

The second is completely different as shown by the fact that the stem release screw is on the other side (as well as the differences in the keyless works - look at the lineup of individual parts). Nevertheless, it's probably also an Adolf Schild movement, possibly a Cal. AS 554 derivative:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 554

As for yours, it has a straight edged balance cock which alone suggests that it's different from the other two, at least with regards to the exact specifications. Another thing is that yours is bigger, probably 11.5''' (the bridge holding and stem release screws are a little further in) than the other two. However, on balance, I think that it may well be some sort of Adolf Schild movement too, perhaps a bigger version of the Cal. 340 (such as the Cal. 780 - Ranfft only shows the Cal. 340 under the link to that movement and leaves an appropriate note) with straight sided balance cock. To be certain, one would have to see the keyless works of yours too, I'm afraid.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 780

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Oh dear! I fear that you've picked three different movements rather than just one, at least when it comes to the details. To start with the ones in your links, the first looks like some Adolf Schild Cal. AS 340 derivative, as indicated by the keyless works which are often the best way of identifying movements or separating superficially similar looking ones (although I can't find an exact match for the bridge layout):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 340

The second is completely different as shown by the fact that the stem release screw is on the other side (as well as the differences in the keyless works - look at the lineup of individual parts). Nevertheless, it's probably also an Adolf Schild movement, possibly a Cal. AS 554 derivative:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 554

As for yours, it has a straight edged balance cock which alone suggests that it's different from the other two, at least with regards to the exact specifications. Another thing is that yours is bigger, probably 11.5''' (the bridge holding and stem release screws are a little further in) than the other two. However, on balance, I think that it may well be some sort of Adolf Schild movement too, perhaps a bigger version of the Cal. 340 (such as the Cal. 780 - Ranfft only shows the Cal. 340 under the link to that movement and leaves an appropriate note) with straight sided balance cock. To be certain, one would have to see the keyless works of yours too, I'm afraid.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 780

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks very much for all the effort and the info!

Show keyless works = hands off, dial off (the latter shouldn't be too difficult as I can see). I haven't done this too often, as a matter of fact only once (despite all the wonderful tools I have), when I overturned the screw for releasing the winding stem and lost the (setting?) lever, which I had to fix on the other side. I don't even have to remove it with this two shell case.

No radium lume, also an advantage.

Perhaps I can even contribute something to the wonderful database. I'll give it a try and will also measure it a bit more precise.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; 1 Week Ago at 08:34.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Done! Measurements about 25.5mm.

That seconds hand is really tiny...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ouch! All I can say is that it definitely isn't the AS 740. Other than that, I can't find a match anywhere. My gut feeling still says AS or ETA but without some maker's mark (perhaps under the bridges since it isn't under the dial), we need someone with just the right movement sheet for this one, I'm afraid.....

Hartmut Richter

Thanks! I have to leave it at this for the time being. I have also seen similar movements marked IOCO. According to Mikrolisk, there is a connection to Gotham, whatever...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ioco-Watch-...-/291997715696

The movement seems to be a Reconvilier 120:

Name:  Reconvilier_120.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  36.5 KB

Pretty seldom...

Badener

Great stuff! I knew that someone would come up with the answer in the end.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information