help needed with vintage chrono

Thread: help needed with vintage chrono

help needed with vintage chrono

I am not knowledgeable about vintage watches but...
    I have this very nice 18k gold swiss chrono. It is quite old but the mechanism is still in good condition. Unfortunately when I removed the strap one of the pins broke off (see pictures). What can I do ? Let it be repaired by a goldsmith: and how ? Weld on a new pin or let him saw of the second pin and drill holes so I can put in regular spring bars ? The old way of attaching does not seem to be a very safe way to attach a strap and certainly not an easy one.
    The brand of this watch is a mistery. Look at the mechanism and the number on the back plate, in gold too. At 6 o'clock I think is writte "swiss made". Will it be worth the repair, a goldsmith's work could be expensive.
    The dial is in excellent condition, only the chrono does not reset to zero but it works.
    Your help is appreciated, thanks

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: help needed with vintage chrono

Nice watch. Pity about the pin on the lug. It seems probably the best practical idea to remove the others and have holes drilled. The movement is something by Landeron (what is the exact size?) and looks clean enough to be serviced and brought back to full working condition.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Nice watch. Pity about the pin on the lug. It seems probably the best practical idea to remove the others and have holes drilled. The movement is something by Landeron (what is the exact size?) and looks clean enough to be serviced and brought back to full working condition.
    Hartmut Richter
    The diameter of the (outside) case is about 36 mm

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From this distance, it seems to say 'Made in Switzerland' (as opposed to 'Swiss Made'), which is somewhat unusual.

In any case, it's a nice watch with an interesting and clean dial, well worth restoring in my opinion. I have a similar one, a family heirloom, which had almost the exact same problems (chrono wasn't working properly and a pin broke off). I had it cleaned and repaired, and is now one of my most prized posessions.

Very nice watch. Obviously this is one of the numerous 'generic' 18k gold Landeron chronos made during the 1940s and 1950s. Since it's not a Baume et Mercier, Breitling, etc., I would drill out the lugs for modern spring bars - - that's what I did in the same predicament. I don't think it would change the value of your 'generic' by even $1.00.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Its one fo those "Chronograph suisse" that we discused often on this fora.Movement is probably Landeron 48. or 51.

I have had the same problem with one of mine "Chronograph suisse" case,and goldsmith done a great job for not much many.I wouldnt recommend removing other pins and drilling the case because its so thin that you will probably damage it by wearing it.Those lugs are not solid gold but very thin gold sheet.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

I follow you on the lugs being thin and given your good experience I might as a goldsmith to repair the pin. But are you sure about the gold sheet because if it were gold sheet wear should have rubbed it of. The case and the back are stamped 18k so...

Yes the metal is solid gold, but it is in thin sheet
    and the lugs are built up using solid gold in thin sheet
    and so they are hollow.

This is why you have projecting lugs rather than holes
    for the spring bars, special spring bars fit the lugs providing
    a 'secure' fitting for your strap.

If the makers had done the 'sensible' thing and used the same amount
    of thin sheet gold, but instead of the case being hollow, they plated the
    sheets of gold around a base metal inner core then they would have
    produce a far stronger case and ordinary spring bars could have been used.

But if they had done the 'sensible' thing then they would not have been able
    to hallmark it as gold.

I tend to rgard these hollow cases as gold filled but without the filling.

Nice watch though and should be a simple repair for a jeweller who can solder gold.

Thumbs Up Re: help needed with vintage chrono

Thanks for your expertise, very useful indeed. I'll have to visit a goldsmith.
    Best
    Bartl

Thread Information