Help needed: Watch Crystal

Thread: Help needed: Watch Crystal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Seiko, Cartier Moderator Athram's Avatar

Help needed: Watch Crystal

I recently bought a vintage Girard Perregaux.
    Upon receiving it through the post i found that the crystal was completely loose and just fell off the moment i unpacked it.
    It is not just the crystal but a metal ring to which the crystal is attached.
    When trying to put it back on it sits perfectly (seamlessly) on the watch but it wont tighten or click into place.
    Is there a specific tool i need? I know there is a claw-like tool for fitting crystals back in but the fact that its the crystal that is set into a thin metal band makes me think it may not work.
    Here is a photo:
    Name:  DSC_0009.JPG
Views: 974
Size:  419.3 KB

Re: Help needed: Watch Crystal

Sounds like it needs crystal adhesive. Take it to a watchmaker and they can do it in under 5 minutes. Cheaply too.

Quote Originally Posted by hns-panama View Post
    Sounds like it needs crystal adhesive. Take it to a watchmaker and they can do it in under 5 minutes. Cheaply too.
    Thanks
    Easier said than done though. Cant say i know any watchmakers even close to where i live.
    Its doubtful i can just walk into a jewelers and get it done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had a similar problem with a pocket watch crystal. It was a press fit like this and I had to get fairly intense magnification to examine in detail how the crystal was fitting. I could then apply focused pressure where I needed it. Eventually I got the crystal into the rim of the watch evenly all around.

In my example, no crystal cement was needed... nor should it have been needed. In some watches crystal cement is as much sealant for water resistance as it is to hold the crystal in place. Pocket watches don't need to worry about that
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I am confused. Is the crystal loose, or the bezel, or both? Can you snap on the bezel to the case?

If you have a steady hand, then order the correct cement and applicator from Cousins in the UK:

Cousins UK - Watch Glass Adhesive

What you see in the picture is what is loose. The actual crystal is fine its the ring that the crystal is attached to that has come off.
    Also i should probably have been clearer that this is a wristwatch not a pocket watch (photo doesn't convey size) I can add more photos if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Athram View Post
    What you see in the picture is what is loose. The actual crystal is fine its the ring that the crystal is attached to that has come off.
    Also i should probably have been clearer that this is a wristwatch not a pocket watch (photo doesn't convey size) I can add more photos if need be.
    Ah... the ring is loose. Is that true when it is on the watch or only when as pictured? It might be tight on the watch.

The pocket watch example was due to both wrist and pocket watches sometimes using similar technologies.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

God this is hard to explain....
    The ring isn't loose but the ring + glass (glass is attached to the ring) is completely loose; so much so that it just falls off if you place it on the watch.
    Screwing it in does not appear to work nor does pressing it down. (thought i have been very gentle in my attempts)
    Basically what is shown in the picture is completely loose and detached from the watch.
    Last edited by Athram; June 8th, 2012 at 00:32.

Maybe you are being too gentle, they are usually a tight fit and need a fair amount of pressure.
    Google "watch crystal press" to see the type of thing that watchmakers use.
    I have used a silicon gun with padding in the past for stubborn ones.
    Bentima Star (Ultra Slim 50's)
    Sandoz (sub clone 2007)
    Ticin Chronograph (50's)
    Sea-Gull 1963 Re-issue (2011)
    Sekonda Deluxe (gold tone)(60's)
    Sekonda (23 jewel silver tone)(60's)
    Seiko Chronograph (Quartz 2005)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information