Help with newly aquired Tissot Seastar
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Help with newly aquired Tissot Seastar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with newly aquired Tissot Seastar

I just bought this vintage automatic Seastar. The seller said that it has the 784-2 movement. To advance the hands forward, or to wind the watch, you have to roatate the crown counter clockwise. Is this normal or do I have a problem?

Also, the dial itself almost seems off-center to the 10 o’clock position (I can see what looks like possibly the edge of the mechanism under the dial at the 4 o’ock position when viewed at an angle. As well as the date not being perfectly centered in the date box. Am I just being too picky with these things?

Lastly, I wound the watch via the crown today for about 5 minutes straight and never heard or felt the winding get tight or sound like it was fully wound. I got about 6 hours out of it before it stopped running. Does this mean it’s time to have it serviced?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given!

Name:  2BFB4952-1997-47F6-A787-8E01C02BD841.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  1.86 MBName:  7A54CF23-2BF5-43F4-AD23-955265489A27.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  1.84 MBName:  DF7BED6D-B35C-43F8-89A9-CDFAA8EB3DF0.jpeg
Views: 99
Size:  1.65 MB

Re: Help with newly aquired Tissot Seastar

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by flyby71 View Post
    I just bought this vintage automatic Seastar.....or to wind the watch, you have to roatate the crown counter clockwise.
    Sorry, if you buy a watch without having seen the movement, it is just gambling, and you don't deserve a better watch. If you can't wind it clockwise, there is a good chance that the movement is a rusty cadaver.
    Also, the dial itself almost seems off-center to the 10 o’clock position...
    If a dial is tarred to meet today's fashion for black dials, you should check how the print is aligned to the hour markers, and only buy such watch if you believe that a reputable maker sells such crap. Unfortunately besides fashion there is a better reason to paint a dial black: It is the best way to hide corrosion.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    busmatt likes this.

I don’t know how to respond to your first statement. I don’t deserve a better watch? That’s just a dumb thing to say. People buy watches on eBay via pictures every day. It’s a gamble, I get that. I was simply asking if a watch rotating counter clockwise was a thing. I’m not asking to receive condescending comments like what you replied. How is someone supposed to learn with responses like that?

The dial is not black. It is a slate blue color. I am new here, but I am respectfully asking for honest and helpful responses, not condescending remarks like you have given. Thanks
    KasperDK likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here are some pictures from the original ad:

Attachment 13246069Attachment 13246071Attachment 13246073

One or both of the dial feet might be broken causing the problem, your link did not work.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

To answer your original question. No, it’s not normal and yes you have a problem. Given you can’t wind it counter clockwise, you didn’t wind it.

If the watch has run for six hours and you still can’t wind it then you have a problem beyond merely being serviced and is in need of repair.

The good Doctor Ranfft has seen to much carnage in his watch life and is colored by this so don't get angry at him as he knows what goes on with unscrupulous sellers and new comers to vintage.

If you are lucky it's only one of the dial feet that is bent and mechanical it can be fixed with little trouble.

You were deceived though so get the seller to refund you part of your money you spent or have the watch returned. I work on these watches all the time so I have a load of movements if need be.
    Last edited by Shum; June 24th, 2018 at 11:03.
    busmatt likes this.

Hi there,

I don’t know how to respond to your first statement.
    I didn't expect a respones, just hoped that you carefully read what can be suspected from a blurry photo, regarding the issues with winding and dial.

Obviously we agree that it was gambling; so take my post as advice to improve your gambling chance, or ignore it and continue to buy bad ruines for good money.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    busmatt likes this.

Thank you all for the responses. Sorry the new pics didn’t come through, all they showed was that it’s a blue dial.

Roland, I now understand the point that you were getting across, I apologize. Thank you for the advise.

When I turn the crown counter clockwise, it sounds like the gears are turning and it’s smooth (and if th crown is pulled out, turning counter clockwise advances the hands forwards instead of backwards).

When I turn the crown clockwise I get a very rough, squeaky sound and it’s difficult to turn (and if the crown was pulled out, turning it clockwise causes the hands to go backwards instead of advancing).

If this means anything, I wore the watch for several hours yesterday to wind it automatically, and this morning it is still running and keeping perfect time.

I only paid $100 for the watch. Even at this price paid is it still better to send it back for a refund and go on the hunt again instead of having it repaired? I want to make the right move here. The seller has agreed to a refund if I choose to do so.

It is correct that the hands move in this fashion. When you wind a watch (clockwise) it should get harder and harder to wind and as it is an automatic the automatic gears will make it feel a bit rough but not excessively so and you don't get springback in the crown on automatics.

So in this case the watch needs cleaning and oliing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information