Help with an old pocket watch - MWC2 Springfields
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Maddan

Thread: Help with an old pocket watch - MWC2 Springfields

Help with an old pocket watch - MWC2 Springfields

Hi
    I'm new to the forum.
    I got married recently and wore this watch with a chain.
    It says MWC2 Springfields as you can see.
    It was kindly given to me by my mother in law.
    I know nothing about it and wondered if I need to insure it?
    Pics attached
    Cheers!
    Rob

Name:  IMG_1362.JPG
Views: 113
Size:  1.20 MBName:  IMG_1361.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  1.09 MB

Re: Help with an old pocket watch - MWC2 Springfields

You'd likely need to show the movement to get useful info on the watch. I note there was another watch posted in the past on this site with a "M.W.C2 Springfield" marking - close enough that it's likely the same branding, whether a private label or an actual brand (Marvin Watch Co...?). Here' the link to that 2009 post, but there's no link I can see to a pic of that Marvin watch:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/my-new-old-marvin-watch-297187.html

I see something about your watch that could be an issue - note how the hands are offset a fair way from their holes in the dial. This is sometimes seen when an incorrect dial has been fitted to a movement.
    Last edited by Gumby992; December 11th, 2017 at 11:46.

We don't do valuations here, but if you show us the movement, we may be able to tell you what kind of quality of workmanship the watch is. A cursory look at the photos already presented tells us that it's a mechanical hunter-case watch, probably early 20th century, possibly made in America, with a nickel case.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys.
    Stupid question, but how do I open it?
    I don't want to break it!
    The button releases the front case when it is closed.
    There is a little metal hook that pulls out about 1cm also.
    Many thanks
    Rob

The hook that pulls out is the SETTING LEVER. You set the time by PULLING OUT THE HOOK - and TURNING THE CROWN to set the hands. Then you PUSH THE LEVER IN to keep the time right. You WIND THE WATCH by turning the crown with the LEVER IN.

To open the back, use your fingernails, or a blunt knife, to pop the back open. It should be on a set of two hinges, for the caseback, and the interior dust-cover. Make sure you grip the watch firmly but carefully. You don't want it flying across the room by accident.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thanks Shangas and Gumby
    I've got it open now, see pics below.
    The numbers are 4182999 on the inside of interior dust cover and "ALBATA".
    The inside on the caseback has "ader silver 925/1000 fine" and a scratched marking saying 11/4/16 (year?) and initial FC?
    The watch itself says "Marain Watch Co" and "SWISS" and 148972 and in very small numbers "82999" I think!
    My eyesight isn't great so I'm not sure if I read them correctly.
    Thanks againName:  IMG_1677.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  1.09 MBName:  IMG_1676.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  1.24 MBName:  IMG_1674.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  1.24 MB

RobField...Hello! this is a Swiss watch, that was designed to look like a USA piece. They can be of good quality, although some folks wish that they had not been made to look quite so familiar to other, USA-made pieces.

Although I certainly cannot be sure without seeing it, your late 19th Century watch looks to have a few 'issues' ( hairspring / dial ), but it might respond well to a Service, and go on to provide some years of good, honest running. I've worked on several such pieces, and they tend to come out OK. Michael.
    bsshog40 likes this.

Nice watch

Thanks for the movement pic. As it seems to match with the brand on the dial I expect it is most likely a correct movement/dial match, but there's definitely something amiss with the fit of the dial for the hands to be that far off center.

Yes, the "Springfields" on the dial hinted as to what this might be - a Swiss watch made to look like an American watch. There were what is termed "Swiss Fakes", which were low quality Swiss watches often elaborately made to mimick the look and markings of American watches, particularly American railroad grade watches, which were high quality watches of the period. You watch isn't as balatant as many of those, but the "Springfields" (perhaps intended to be confused with Illinois watches from Springfield, Ill ?), and the general appearance of the watch and movement indicate it was probably intended to ride on the coattails of American watches. Often the train jeweling on such watches is in fact not jeweling at all, but rather just non-functional coloured glass mimicking conventional jeweling. I don't know about the jeweling on your watch. There's no jewel count engraved on the movement. Such markings are generally an aspect of the more out & out Swiss Fakes, often claiming high jewel counts they don't have as well as other faux markings claiming postional adjustments, etc.

I found no listing for the "Marain Watch Co" in the Mikrolisk horological trade mark index.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

The font is a bit difficult to read, I realize, but it says "Marvin Watch Company." This is one of the known "Swiss Fake" names, although most(like yours) are at least marked Swiss.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thread Information