Help with old watch identification

Thread: Help with old watch identification

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with old watch identification

I dont have a lot of background for this watch or movement but i'm hoping someone here knows a little bit about the case-marks/trademarks and the movement itself. The watch was likely cased in England as it was owned by my wife's grandmother before she came across the pond. I do know the watch is 9ct gold as the double-hinged case & bezel are both stamped as such but i cannot identify the other marks in the case back nor the movement used. Any help available out there?

Name:  Bev's watch 1.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  340.6 KBName:  Bev's watch 3.JPG
Views: 672
Size:  461.2 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help with old watch identification

All I can say is that it has a fairly standard cylindre escapement movement from the early 20th century, possibly by Fontainemelon (FHF):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 11'''

As such, it is not particularly special and mainly has sentimental and material (gold content) value.

Hartmut Richter

Help in identifying an old wrist watch.

hi all,

I need a little help in identifying this watch / movement / trademarks. As for the trademarks the only one i dont know is the D&R inside the C. The movement i understand (thanks to Cary) is likely an A. Schild cylinder escapement movement from around 1913. I did find a pic of an A.S. 175 movement at this site that is very similar in design but if someone could confirm this that would be appreciated. Here are a few photos.

Name:  Bev's watch 1.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  340.6 KBName:  Bev's watch 5.JPG
Views: 756
Size:  806.7 KBName:  Bev's watch 6.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  798.7 KBName:  Bev's watch 3.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  461.2 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help in identifying an old wrist watch.

I doubt the movement identification. This layout was fairly generic and made by many at the turn of the century. The keyless works is different from the pictured AS.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Sorry, i wasn't suggesting that the AS175 was the movement in this watch, only that it was 'similar' in design. Cary had suggested elsewhere that the movement appeared to be an early "A. Schild cylinder escapement type" with 10 jewels but was unsure without the movement being disassembled which is a little beyond my capabilities at this point. Anyone recognize that D&R stamp ?

9kt gold cases were mostly popular in the UK where they could still be advertised as solid gold (14kt in the US).

The case maker was George Stockwell of London. The assay hallmarks are easy to look up and are left as an exercise to the reader

The D&R or CD&R are a mystery....
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Two threads on the same watch by the same member merged. Please avoid duplicate threads.

Thanks!

Hartmut Richter

Sigh... my error with the duplicate thread. Hartmut, the Ranfft link you provided is a better match for the movement so thank you for that. You are also correct that the watch has sentimental value and i am not under any illusion that it is 'valuable' money wise. It will make a nice keepsake though.

Eeeb: I've already managed to research the other assay hallmarks but the D&R/C was a 'mystery' to me also. Hopefully someone will recognize it. Thanks for the link to Stockwell!

I see that the "D & R" mark was mentioned in this thread also. Did anyone manage to identify it other than potentially being the case maker?

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

George Stockwell were perhaps the biggest importer of Swiss watches into the UK. They could have made cases, but I doubt it, so D&R either made the watch or are just the case makers - and my bet would be on them being the case maker otherwise they would have also marked the movement. Entirely possible also that Stockewell imported the movement, cased it into a D&R case and then had it assayed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information