Help with old zenith!

Thread: Help with old zenith!

Help with old zenith!

Hello everybody :)

I recently had my grandads watch given to me and it therefore has an extremely important value to me!

I hope to give it some love to restore it back up as i dont think its had any attention in a few years!

I know next to nothing about it other than my grandad got it from his father around 70 years ago....

It looks like it has a replacement crown, back, and crystal.

Therefore i was wondering if anybody knew of any companies in london to help restore it, im hoping to get a new crystal, crown and case back, a service, and perhaps even some dial attention.

I tried contact emailing Somlo (who omega use) but im still awaiting on a reply.

Also how much do people think the above work may cost, or how easy it would be to get those parts replaced with something more suitable?

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help with old zenith!

Welcome to the Vintage forum. That looks like a typical Zenith from the fifties with, in this case, the vendor's name (the jeweler Irvine Hindle, Halifax) on the dial too. There are other examples like that, e.g. one "Turler" Zenith or an ancient "J. Dent, London" Zenith pocket watch. It doesn't really raise the value, though (unless it's Tiffany!).

If you can get the watch opened up, I can tell you its age and the movement. If it has a Cal. 135, you've hit the jackpot; anything else, it's more standard but still a very nice watch.

Hartmut Richter

Congrats. This is one you will always treasure!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to the Vintage forum. That looks like a typical Zenith from the fifties with, in this case, the vendor's name (the jeweler Irvine Hindle, Halifax) on the dial too. There are other examples like that, e.g. one "Turler" Zenith or an ancient "J. Dent, London" Zenith pocket watch. It doesn't really raise the value, though (unless it's Tiffany!).

If you can get the watch opened up, I can tell you its age and the movement. If it has a Cal. 135, you've hit the jackpot; anything else, it's more standard but still a very nice watch.

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks for your quick and helpful response! With regards to the movement next time im home (over christmas) il open it up to allow a greater analysis of it, which regards to it being a jackpot the value doesnt particularly bother/influence me. As said it was my grandads, given to him from his dad so its value is way beyond price!

Do you think the work required will be straight forward? Or will i have difficulty finding somebody to complete the work?

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    Congrats. This is one you will always treasure!

Thanks mpalmer, as said above this definitely is a special piece to me :)

To me its a jackpot no matter what movement is inside esp been handed down to you. Zenith would do a great job but would cost.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Curious as to why you think it has a replacement back as you didn't provide a photo. Crown and crystal? Yes, quite likely.

Since you asked for help, I'll offer one suggestion. If taking photos in the bathroom, try to choose a more neutral background in there.

Thread Information