Help With Omega Vintage ladies watch 1930-1940's

Thread: Help With Omega Vintage ladies watch 1930-1940's

Help With Omega Vintage ladies watch 1930-1940's

This watch I have had alot of trouble trying to identify. It was my grandmothers and have had it in a drawer for years since she passed. From what some one told me it might be of the medicus line and possibly late 1920's to early 1930's. From omegas numbers of the case being 9956xxx (1935) and the movement 9174xxx (1926). Numbers also found are h6752... om653...k4184 and the long one of 1214???? and last 4 numbers i cant read with a lupe. It has staybrite on the back. The local dealer was stumped and Omega has yet to send the documents I requested. The trident hour hand and orange sweep seem to be uncommon and also curious what it might be worth. Also found the numbers under one of the gears of 43c. Any help would be grand..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help With Omega Vintage ladies watch 1930-1940's

Hi there and welcome.

Its an interesting looking watch. Can you post some pics of the movement? I would say the date is 1926 - going from the movement number!

I think the dial has been touched up... the 'Omega' and logo look a bit crude!

What is the dia of the case... I only ask as I think it could be a gents watch... not ladies! I realise the strap is a ladies... but thats not original. It would have had a leather strap originally!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Here is a photo of the movement. Also a comparison with another omega. It just seems to be in the size of a ladies watch. Someone else had mentioned that the dial is called a scientific....Thx...
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi brmont,

the movement #9174776 was made in 1939. What you read as "43C" is the end of "23.4SC".
    23.4 is the diameter in millimeters and SC denotes the center second (seconde central).
    This movement though:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Omega 23.4SC

Comparing movement- and case diameter in your pic, I guess the watch has some 30mm
    diameter without crown, and this was a common gents size in the 30s and 40s.

I suspect Neptun's trident should symbolize a waterproof case, anything but common
    in that time. So it is likely original. About the dial I'm not sure. The Omega character
    and the signature look strange, but redialers normally prevent the effort to create
    a two-tone design.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Ck 2173

GENTS' LEATHER STRAP

Reference: CK 2173
    International collection: 1941
    Movement
    - Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
    - Caliber number: 23,4 SC T1
    - First Omega Caliber with central sweep-second hand.
    - 15 or 17 jewels
    - Created in 1936
    Case: Stainless steel
    Case back: Press-in; Full metal
    Dial: Not available
    Crystal: Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet: Leather
    Water resistance: 30 meters

This watch may have existed with different dials.
    More product information
    Dial opening : 25 mm diameter
    International Collection : 1941
    Swiss retail price (1941) : CHF 123.-

Omegamania 2007 – Lot 58 : Omega, No. 9137346, case No. 9953042, Ref. OJ 2173. Made for the US market, sold on 11th February, 1952. Very fine and rare, water-resistant, center seconds, 18K pink gold gentleman’s wristwatch with two-tone dial and “Neptune’s Trident” hand. This watch is sold with box, Certificate of Authenticity and a 2-year Omega guarantee.
    C. Two-body, solid, polished, stepped bezel, fluted lugs, screw-down back. D. Pink gold with light blue radial Roman numerals, outer white minute/seconds track with 1/5th seconds divisions. Pink gold “Neptune’s trident” hands. M. Cal. 23.4 SC, rhodium-plated, 17 jewels, straight-line lever escapement, cut bimetallic balance, Breguet balance spring, index regulator. Dial and movement signed. Diam. 31 mm. Thickness 11 mm.
    Last edited by Francois Boucher; May 21st, 2011 at 03:07.
    François – Quebec City, QC

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    the movement #9174776 was made in 1939.
    Sorry Brmont.. I had not checked your info and was agreeing with your date of 1926... here is a link to a easy omega date table:

Omega Serial Numbers By Year...

As Roland says.. 1939.

Its a very nice GENTS watch... as said above - cases from this period are smaller compared to modern day... If you search for ladies watches fromthis period... they are generally very small (or have very small lug width - for thin straps) when compared to yours!

Nice watch... get a nice leather strap (16mm wide?) and wear with pride...
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Another one posted on the 'Bay…

here.
    François – Quebec City, QC

Re: Another one posted on the 'Bay…

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Boucher View Post
    Another one posted on the 'Bay

here.
    Looks like the same watch to me!

Movement serial number matches exactly, as do the dial fonts and hands.

I guess brmont is not that sentimental. Nice watch, but asking an awful lot IMHO.

If he gets what he's asking, do we all get a commission? I don't like when people come on the forum asking questions about "grandma's watch" and it's listed for sale a day later.

It is me, or is something a bit fishy here?
    gatorcpa

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    Looks like the same watch to me!

Movement serial number matches exactly, as do the dial fonts and hands.

I guess brmont is not that sentimental. Nice watch, but asking an awful lot IMHO.

gatorcpa
    Is the same watch!

Crazy price.... least he has updated the listing to reflect the comments... still not got the date right though!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Yes I did list it on EBAY. As you can see from the photo I also have a deville . After getting the quote to have the stem and crown replaced. I decided to sell the smaller watch and keep the deville for myself it is just too small. Yet the omegas must be a more sound watch as the Rolex submariner I purchased in 2005 needs a rotor. Almost 5k for a watch and ridiculous to price to repair. The tune up on my mercedes was less. Price might be crazy but the dealer I took it into to get the crown polished offered my 1k on the spot so I figured out it must me worth twice that....Mb

Thread Information