Help with this one please!

Thread: Help with this one please!

Help with this one please!

This arrived today. Its a solid gold (9ct) watch with a 15J movement without shock protection, a 'Patent Applied for' case with screw on back, and swivel lugs. The dial doesn't say Swiss on it, but the movement does. The ratchet wheel has Bravingtons on it - a renowned London jewellers most famous for supplying military officers with watches.

Its quite small - 28mm across.

Help then:

1. The hallmark looks to be British. If its a leopards head, (and it could be anything), then the K would be 1945 - and it looks earlier to me. It was listed as 1930's.

2. There is no mark that I can see under the balance - anybody recognise the movement?

3. Has anyone seen a case like this before? The case maker's mark is EBE which I can't find in the usual places. The back is milled and can be unscrewed by hand. It says 'remove.........from front and unscrew bezel'.

I've unscrewed the bezel. It looks like the movement ring is threaded on the outside all the way through. A bit fiddly, mind.

Many thanks. Its working by the way.
    Last edited by Marrick; April 21st, 2010 at 14:41.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Re: Help with this one please!

A Schild had a whole series of 10.5''' movements that seem to fit starting with the 984. Dr Ranfft's site doesn't show a 1045 but does have a 1048 that looks the same http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&2uswk&AS_1048

Looks like a FHF 150 with custom top plate layout

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&FHF_150_0

The balance cock, the screw and gear layout of the plate over the winding system, the jewel layout, and even the holes in the bottom plate seen under the balance wheel look like a match.

I suppose removing the dial to see that side would confirm one way or another.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Looks like a FHF 150 with custom top plate layout

Thank you both.

I'm inclined more towards the FHF, but the number seems more AS.

Anyway, I won't be taking the dial off today - a bit busy. But I did unscrew the bezel. The construction seems to be of an externally threaded 'movement ring' that the bezel and case back both screw onto.
    Last edited by Marrick; April 21st, 2010 at 16:45.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Re: Looks like a FHF 150 with custom top plate layout

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnson View Post

The balance cock, the screw and gear layout of the plate over the winding system, the jewel layout, and even the holes in the bottom plate seen under the balance wheel look like a match.

I suppose removing the dial to see that side would confirm one way or another.
    Dr. Ranfft has pointed out several times companies would make different looking bridges and apply them atop externally sourced ebauches. I believe his statement was you need to look at the layout of the elements to determine the source of such movements.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information