help with opening a 60's Lucien Piccard
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: help with opening a 60's Lucien Piccard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help with opening a 60's Lucien Piccard

I picked up an early 60's Lucien Piccard automatic in a watch lot and I have been trying to get into the movement. It looks like a solid case and the back has no visible relief for a case knife and no notches for a case opening tool. Under magnification I can see a faint line (arrowed in the picture) that could be a join between the case and the back but could also be a machining line on the case. Can anyone tell me if the case back is snap on or screw on or none of the above or if the movement has a snap on crown and the movement is removed from the dial side? I haven't tried pulling the crown to test the latter. Thanks Rob Name:  HPback_1_zps2c22988c.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  56.0 KBName:  HP_dial_zpsb9a858d7.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  62.6 KB

Re: help with opening a 60's Lucien Piccard

I could well be wrong, but normally there would at least have a slight crease to get the very edge of a case knife in, often at the top center of the case.

Now I would think this age might be accessible from the back, but it is possible that it is accessed through the crystal/dial side. I'm not familiar with this watch though. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by JP71624 View Post
    I could well be wrong, but normally there would at least have a slight crease to get the very edge of a case knife in, often at the top center of the case.

Now I would think this age might be accessible from the back, but it is possible that it is accessed through the crystal/dial side. I'm not familiar with this watch though. Hmm...
    Thanks. I can't see any relief points at all for a case knife. I've taken the crystal off and there is no entry point to release the stem. So I'm thinking this may be one where the crown is a snap on fit to the stem. I'm hoping someone may know the answer before I try anything risky.
    Rob
    JP71624 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Closest looking Lucien Piccard to mine ever on this forum, mine is a pop-top.

By "pop top" do you mean the movement comes out from the dial side after removing the crystal? Have you ever removed the movement? Thanks. Rob

Yep, and by pulling the stem, never done it. It takes a special tool to remove the crystal.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    By "pop top" do you mean the movement comes out from the dial side after removing the crystal? Have you ever removed the movement? Thanks. Rob

I think you will want to search for "front loader" movement removal, with the split stem involved, of course.
    I am of no use here. Haha
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

Quote Originally Posted by JP71624 View Post
    I think you will want to search for "front loader" movement removal, with the split stem involved, of course.
    I am of no use here. Haha
    You have been of more help than you could know. Thanks so much for the search tip, I hadn't heard the term "front loader" before, I thought that was reserved for washing machines! I found all the information that I needed and armed with my trusty Bergeon Presto No 1 hand remover, the crown is now out safely. The crystal was relatively easy as they tend to shrink with age and a little coaxing at the case interface with a sharp blade had it pop out nicely. So tomorrow I can extract the movement and continue the restoration.
    Thanks again. Rob
    JP71624 likes this.

Special care is needed here, mine is on it's 5th crown and crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    You have been of more help than you could know. Thanks so much for the search tip, I hadn't heard the term "front loader" before, I thought that was reserved for washing machines! I found all the information that I needed and armed with my trusty Bergeon Presto No 1 hand remover, the crown is now out safely. The crystal was relatively easy as they tend to shrink with age and a little coaxing at the case interface with a sharp blade had it pop out nicely. So tomorrow I can extract the movement and continue the restoration.
    Thanks again. Rob
    Glad I could be useful for something! Ha
    More importantly, just glad you were able to get into the watch and continue the restoration.
    There's nothing like having the itch to get something done and finding yourself stuck!

I knew once I recalled the term that you would find just what you needed. Never having experience with one, that was all I had to offer.

Definitely post restoration pictures if you can, or simply this disassembled front loader if nothing else!

Jared
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information