Help with pawn shop Omega, return or not? Polished case?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help with pawn shop Omega, return or not? Polished case?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with pawn shop Omega, return or not? Polished case?

Hey guys picked this up for $220. Caliber 500 Omega Automatic, 14k gold filled case. Sting ray leather band still in good condition. The amazing thing here is that it has an original untouched dial, original crystal w/ Omega logo in center, and an original crown. Only bad part from what I can tell is that it looks like the case has been polished quite a bit. For $220 what do you guys think? is it a keeper? The watch looks great on wrist and has grown on me a lot. Wish it was a Seamaster though!! Any help is greatly appreciated. Since pictures aren't working properly here is a link with the pictures.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/thou...-return.67525/

Re: Help with pawn shop Omega, return or not? Polished case?

Edit

I think that the price generally reflects the condition. It's a high quality movement, and the watch definitely has some things in its favor. To get a similar Omega in better condition, you would generally need to pay more. So only you can decide if it's a keeper - and you seem to like it.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Dan. The condition reflects the price. The dial looks like some of the clear-coat is flaking off. I think the case looks fine. The crown, although it's an original Omega crown, would probably be from a different style watch (you know.. those Seamasters with the fat lugs). In regards to returning it.. I'd say no on principle. I'm not in the habit of returning something due to buyers remorse. Since you got it at a pawn shop, would they give you back what you paid for it?

Quote Originally Posted by RonD. View Post
    I agree with Dan. The condition reflects the price. The dial looks like some of the clear-coat is flaking off. I think the case looks fine. The crown, although it's an original Omega crown, would probably be from a different style watch (you know.. those Seamasters with the fat lugs). In regards to returning it.. I'd say no on principle. I'm not in the habit of returning something due to buyers remorse. Since you got it at a pawn shop, would they give you back what you paid for it?
    Yes, the pawn shop is a chain and they have a 7 day money back policy for any reason at all. Will the clear coat begin to flake off even more? Or only if someone messes with it? I'm leaning towards keeping the watch based purely off of condition and the fact I like it.

Spartcom5...I'll go first today: this dial REALLY looks like a re-do to me! The font seems wrong / the printing looks a bit uneven (note that the bottom of the "O" does not align with the bottom of the "M" ) / and it simply does not look original to me.

For what it's worth, I own Omega's & have enjoyed working on them, and boldly assume (!) that I have a decent chance of recognizing a re-dial...note, tho: this is my opinion!

This said, the movement looks really sharp.

Decisions, decisions...! Michael.

Over polished case or possible redial aside, I think $220 is a good price for a smart 1950s Omega that could/should cost you a lot more.

I would've thought for sure this was an original dial.... I could be dead wrong though, but comparing my dial to this one on eBay they would've had to use the same redialer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I say keep it and I dont think its a redial although im far from expert. I always go by completed autcion prices and you wouldnt be able to get one on ebay auction for anywhere near as cheap as that in comparable condition. The case does not look "overpolished" to me it just looks like normal wear to the gold plating and not bad at that.

I think the movement alone is worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information