Help please identify this pocket watch. Thanks.

Thread: Help please identify this pocket watch. Thanks.

Help please identify this pocket watch. Thanks.

Yesterday I bought this watch at a roadside sale. This watch does not have any words on it. It is beautiful to me. It works great, keeps good time. I bought it for 3 dollars.

Could anybody help provide any information, please. Any information or comment is appreciated with thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help please identify this pocket watch. Thanks.

Looks like a small, rather crudely finished chinese wristwatch movement in simple metal case. Three dollars is about what the movement sells for, so it was a good deal.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Looks like a small, rather crudely finished chinese wristwatch movement in simple metal case. Three dollars is about what the movement sells for, so it was a good deal.
    Hi AbslomRob, thank you very much for your input!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To add to what Rob has said, the movement is a skeletonized version of the Chinese "Standard" movement which was designed back in the 1950s/60s to provide watches for the Chinese masses.

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    To add to what Rob has said, the movement is a skeletonized version of the Chinese "Standard" movement which was designed back in the 1950s/60s to provide watches for the Chinese masses.
    Thanks Ron! Looking at the "slotted" screw, I would say this movement is an old stock from the early times (50s, 60s, or 70s), as later products tend to use "philips" scews. Am I right?

Then, are there many watches that do not have any words on them? Why did they not indicate where it was made, what brand it is, etc.?

Thanks.

These watches are massproduced in large volumes and in many cases sold to secondary companies, who may sell them to tertiary companies all before they even become watches. So the main manufacturer doesn't bother to mark them, becuase that might prevent the subsequent owners from applying their own markings. But for the lowest end of the watches, no one has the time, energy or inclination to bother marking them. The people buying them don't care who made them, and the people making them have no reputation to support.

I dont' know that I've ever seen a watch movement with "phillips" screws; slotted screws are used because you don't need a lot of torque to assemble these, and slotted screws are the easiest to make, especially at this size.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thank you Rob. You gave me very useful information.

Thread Information