Help Recommend Birth Year Watch (1990)
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Help Recommend Birth Year Watch (1990)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help Recommend Birth Year Watch (1990)

Edit: not sure if 1990's model would be considered a vintage watch. If not, can a mod please move this thread to an appropriate sub-form. Thank you!

So I am mostly new to watch collecting. Been a lurker in this forum and I dont really post that much since I feel like I dont have anything much to contribute. But now I am asking for help from you guys to recommend me my birth year watch. 1990. I would appreciate it if you guys would help me in my quest.

Here is what I am looking for but not limited to:
    - Something that can be worn on all occassions (formal, casual, etc) Although something formal would be best.
    - Preferrably has a white dial. Black would work too. Other colors it would depend on how it looks like.
    - Preferrably automatic
    - Around 40-45mm (I have a small wrist)
    - Interchangeable straps if possible
    - Not really into gold cases
    - Something reliable that I can pass down to my children
    - Clean dials nothing too busy

Price value is not important as this is my quest and will likely save up if I see it is really the one I am looking for. But hopefully something that isn't too absurd. Maybe around $6,000 max (I do have to save up for it if its in that price range). The affordable it is the better (more like in the $1000-$3000 range). I don't really have a lot of knowledge about watches yet so please be gentle with me if I have any stupid questions. lol.

Thank you! Pictures would be of great help!

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Artifice; December 9th, 2015 at 06:09.

Re: Help Recommend Birth Year Watch (1990)

Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    So I am mostly new to watch collecting.

...Maybe around $6,000 max.
    I'm sure you will find no shortage of vintage choices at that price bracket ( circa 1990 considered vintages right?)

Not sure 1990 really qualifies as "vintage" but I'll give you some quick thoughts- honestly, as a 1986 kid, the 80's and 90's are reeeeally hard with birth year watches. So many brands went under in the late 70's, the 80's brought very little that's collectible. The best suggestions from the era IMO will be the "classic" and "iconic" designs/models that haven't changed much over the decades- I'm thinking the Speedmaster, GMT, Sub type pieces. Good luck!
    Artifice, busmatt and Bub838 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Air King?

"Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Quote Originally Posted by dj898 View Post
    I'm sure you will find no shortage of vintage choices at that price bracket ( circa 1990 considered vintages right?)
    Yes i have stupid question for you sir, what does 'circa' mean in terms of watches? Does that mean approximately? Manufactured date? I have seen some people selling their watches and they note 'circa' along with it. Not really sure what that means in relation to watches. I am hoping you can enlighten me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    Air King?

Yes, that looks like something I would wear. Thank you. Will do some research on this one.

Can't really go wrong with a Rolex, I'd throw in the Datejust, and if you've got small wrists then look at the 36mm models a real classic.

Being an Omega fanboy it's quite hard for me to recommend anything else but 1990 wasn't their greatest period design wise, the Speedmaster is the most likely candidate as the constellation and Seamaster of the day both have integrated straps, they're both great watches but you asked for strap changability

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    Artifice and saxoo like this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

In watch terms, circa or "ca" means the same thing as it does in the outside world: "approximately."

Watch companies can and do have variable record keeping. Some have accurate records, for example Omega, and are also happy to share their production numbers and dates. Others have no reliable records or are deliberately vague about what and when they manufactured.

Very few date claims relating to watch production are anything other than approximate.

Although, to round off: some, like Omega, will actually supply a certificate attesting to the date of manufacture, a service they charge for. Others will, upon request, supply this information by email (like Longines and Eterna - others?).

Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Yes i have stupid question for you sir, what does 'circa' mean in terms of watches? Does that mean approximately? Manufactured date? I have seen some people selling their watches and they note 'circa' along with it. Not really sure what that means in relation to watches. I am hoping you can enlighten me. Thank you!

Artifice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    In watch terms, circa or "ca" means the same thing as it does in the outside world: "approximately."

Watch companies can and do have variable record keeping. Some have accurate records, for example Omega, and are also happy to share their production numbers and dates. Others have no reliable records or are deliberately vague about what and when they manufactured.

Very few date claims relating to watch production are anything other than approximate.

Although, to round off: some, like Omega, will actually supply a certificate attesting to the date of manufacture, a service they charge for. Others will, upon request, supply this information by email (like Longines and Eterna - others?).
    I see. Thank you for the information.

Am I the only one that feels more "vintage" in having a proper conversation with somebody that was born after I completed college?

I suppose the first question is, what type of watch? A chronograph, a day/ date, a simple "three-hander" (hour/ minute/ seconds)? Once you narrow it down, you'll have a much better idea of where to start concentrating your search.

In lieu of a full Rolex, you might consider their Tudor line. Same guts but more affordable, and a good heritage piece.

~D
    Genebe likes this.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information