Help regarding vintage omega seamaster
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help regarding vintage omega seamaster

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help regarding vintage omega seamaster

Hi, this is my first time posting here and I'd like to ask the group for help because I am planning to buy a vintage watch.

Recently I found this 1960s omega seamaster that has a crosshair dial and date. https://m.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seamast...-/232789579636
    The seller wrote in the description that the watch has been serviced by omega in 2015 so I assume a redial and polish has inevitably happened.

I tried to contact the seller but have not gotten a reply from him/her regarding the watch, also the seller has 0 feedback on ebay.

If anyone from the forum can help to identify and give me moral support whether to pull the trigger or not regarding the watch, it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!
    Kent

Re: Help regarding vintage omega seamaster

The case has definitely been polished in the past but I don't see anything wrong with the dial. There are no photos of the inside, but maybe the biggest concern is the complete lack of feedback for the seller. It's a risk to buy from that kind of seller.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Hi Dan, thank you for your answer. I tried looking for the particular dial design on google but haven't had any luck yet, therefore I do not know the particular model.

Do you happen to know which seamaster reference carries this particular design?

I am also worried to buy from such a seller, but I am interested in it because of the fact that it is relatively in my budget and the fact that it has been serviced by Omega would mean the watch could be used as a daily driver. I think I should do more digging.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

FTE
    Banned

Speaking from experience here: Do not buy from a seller who does not reply and has zero feedback. You will see another Omega come up on Ebay. Too many things can go wrong...it's just not worth it.

Regarding the listing:

- The seller posts no pictures of the movement...this could be a frankenwatch or have the wrong movement for the reference.
    - Also, if it needs to be serviced, expect to pay ~$300 or more for a certified Omega service
    - Looks like a redial, but a fairly good one
    - Case back is over polished, but not the worst
    - Appears to be original crown, band and crystal (I think I can actually see the Omega mark in one of the photos)

Overall my guess is this is just an inexperienced Ebay seller and not anyone nefarious, unless the watch is stolen (could be as it has someone else's name engraved on it). Not seeing / knowing the movement is a risk, as is buying from someone with no reputation. That being said, the watch looks to be in good physical shape (case, crystal, band, crown), but will probably need to be serviced to keep time accurately. Ultimately it is up to how much risk tolerance you have and how much you want to spend. You could partially mitigate the risk if the seller would take a photo of the movement with the case back off...then you would have the condition of the movement, the caliber and the watch reference number to lookup for comparison.
    Last edited by FTE; June 6th, 2018 at 16:36.

The "no returns" policy would give me pause, too.

Hi Joe and FTE, you both give great points, particularly FTE.

I am also wary of the fact that the seller does not reply to my questions, but I am also surprised that the rest of the watch look original. May I know how you can tell that the crown, band, and crystal are original (apart from the omega logo that I am unable to find yet).

Thanks for replying!

Quote Originally Posted by Kent.A View Post
    Hi Dan, thank you for your answer. I tried looking for the particular dial design on google but haven't had any luck yet, therefore I do not know the particular model.

Do you happen to know which seamaster reference carries this particular design?

I am also worried to buy from such a seller, but I am interested in it because of the fact that it is relatively in my budget and the fact that it has been serviced by Omega would mean the watch could be used as a daily driver. I think I should do more digging.
    The reference is written on the inside of the case-back, but there are not photos of that. This is an auction, so you have no idea whether it is in your budget or not until the auction ends. There is no documentation showing that the watch was serviced. You sound very hopeful and optimistic, but I think you need to be a bit more skeptical and realistic.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Hey Dan, yeah that's true. It's just that I've been looking at so many auctions start and end that I seem to be more eager to pull the trigger. Although you are right about the auction being far from the end.

Quick update, I have finally got a reply from the seller and he says that he is asking for the reference number from the last place it was serviced, as a lot of other people have been asking him the same thing.

I also managed to see the omega logo on the crystal which has made me more enthused, but reading Dan's reply has made me try to calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by joeabroad View Post
    The "no returns" policy would give me pause, too.
    that means nothing.

ebay policy is strict on this . Returns are , as far as they are concerned, covered by their policy. You can write anything you want.
    WPAC OFFICIAL SENIOR BASHER

"your grail shall be bashed"

Quote Originally Posted by sinner777 View Post
    that means nothing.

ebay policy is strict on this . Returns are , as far as they are concerned, covered by their policy. You can write anything you want.
    Agreed, if there is an undisclosed problem with the watch or if it isn't in full working order or running well as the listing guarantees, you should be able to return under either eBay or paypal policy. That doesn't mean the seller will be happy about it, but you should be covered.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information