Help Request: Clama Dive-style Watch**Added Movement Pics

Thread: Help Request: Clama Dive-style Watch**Added Movement Pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Help Request: Clama Dive-style Watch**Added Movement Pics

Here's a recent acquisition: A Clama dive-style watch. It is very DOXA-like! :)

The waterproof stamp on the stainless back leads me to believe it is from earlier than 1970. The watch face and hands are in vg condition. The case is in good condition.

The watch does not run. If I tap the side of the case, the second hand advances one second per tap.

There isn't a quickset date- set the date by moving the minute/hour hand. The stem has two settings: pull the stem out to set the time, push it in to handwind in one direction, then it "clicks" when rotated in the other direction.

The elapsed time bezel rotates in both directions with no clicks. The GMT bezel does not rotate, but appears it should as it does have some fine knurliing on its edge. It appears there is a logo on the crown.

I'd like to see if anyone has some history on this, and whether it makes sense to get the works repaired. I'm heading out on a business trip on Tuesday, and know of a good watchmaker in that city that I may take it to.

Any info on history and/or on what could be wrong with the works would be appreciated!

Last edited by jiminpotomac; January 11th, 2010 at 17:04. Reason: Added movement pics
    Rolex | Breitling | Tudor| Seiko | Many Others. . . Enjoying Diver Watches Since 1974

Re: Help Request: Clama Dive-style Watch

The style is very classic seventies. As I understand it, the US mandated the use of "water resistant" over "waterproof" around '68, but there was a grace period to impement it. Ad since it only affected watches sold in the US, some manufacturers continued to use "waterproof" well into the seventies on watches sold in other countries (likely using up stock, which would have taken a while given the slumping sales)
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thumbs Up Re: Help Request: Clama Dive-style Watch

Great information- many thanks! :) :thanks
    Rolex | Breitling | Tudor| Seiko | Many Others. . . Enjoying Diver Watches Since 1974

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Question Re: Help Request: Clama Dive-style Watch**Added Movement Pics

Here are some movement pics... Is this an inexpensive movement, where most of the rubies are poor quality and essentially "useless?" Or is it a decent movement? I appreciate any help. :)

Re: Help Request: Clama Dive-style Watch**Added Movement Pics

Quote Originally Posted by jiminpotomac View Post
    Is this an inexpensive movement, where most of the rubies are poor quality and essentially "useless?" Or is it a decent movement? I appreciate any help. :)

I would consider this a low end jeweled movement common in watches made in the 70s to lower the cost of production to compete with quartz watches. At least you didn't get a watch with a junk pin lever movement with one or no jewels.
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

Banned

No Shock proofing?
    I am sure it can be serviced and then it will function for a long time!

as said, a Classic late -60-70ies style.
    Not only Doxa divers had these cases.
    Last edited by Janne; January 11th, 2010 at 18:56.

I think I see a manufacturers stamp under the blance wheel, but it's blocked by the balance itself. Can you make it out? Ltri might have spoken too soon...it looks like this movment:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&EB_8022N

Which is listed as a pin lever.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thumbs Up Re: Help Request: Clama Dive-style Watch**Added Movement Pics

Incredible information- thank you everyone!

I believe that is the movement- *sigh* Such is life.

I'll see if the watchmaker can look at it to see what it'll take to bring her back to life. I'll report on progress (if any) *fingers crossed*

Thanks again! I'm stunned at how much information you all have shared.

Unhappy Oh well...

Oh well...

Stopped by the watch shop today. They quoted me $90 just to open it, then told me it would cost more to even diagnose it. They thought $300 or so would likely cover a repair (sight unseen, of course). But the cost could increase...

Unfortunately there are few, if any, watch makers/repair shops in Southern Delaware- at least as far as I know.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for someone I could send this to and determine the issue and provide a reasonable cost for the repair? I appreciate it.

Re: Oh well...

The Tips directory (at the top of the forum page) has these organizations which do referrals.

AWCI
    produced two watchmakers who are in DE:

John Paul Woods
    (John)

25 Dune Rd Bethany Beach, DE 19930-9526
    Work Phone (302) 539-5793 Fax (302) 539-1328
    Email:
    [email protected]
    Web Site: www.watches-clocks.com

Adam Chein
    (Adam Chein)

24-A Trolley Sq
    Unit 126
    Wilmington, DE 19806 USA
    Work Phone 877-928-2401 Fax 877-928-2401 Toll Free 877-928-2401
    Email: [email protected]
    Web Site: www.watch-o-mat.com
    Watch repairs. Swiss Watches, Russian watches, advice. Request a box for a free estimate at www.watch-o-mat.com

The quote you got would have caused me to walk out a bit miffed. Good luck!
    Last edited by Eeeb; January 14th, 2010 at 00:58. Reason: clean up formatting
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information