Help with a Rubens watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shum
  • 1 Post By Shum

Thread: Help with a Rubens watch

Help with a Rubens watch

Hi,

Me again. I'm after help identifying a Rubens watch for my dad. He would like to know as much as possible about it; model, age, etc... Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kieran

IMG_4424 by h20vrrq, on Flickr

IMG_4425 by h20vrrq, on Flickr

IMG_4427 by h20vrrq, on Flickr

Re: Help with a Rubens watch

Hi,
    On Mikrolisk I found only one record with Rubens .
    Inside You've got budget Pin-lever Ebauches EB8800 cal. with 1j.

aRm
    "Life is a path, Death a destination."

Super 27 really tells it all! Timex are the only ones with 21 on the dial that I know of that actually had this number of jewels in it's movements without jewel or rubies after the number.

This one has 1950's styling but many manufactures used it well into the 1960's
    Last edited by Shum; August 18th, 2014 at 00:16.
    armian likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

@ Shum: sorry, I don't get what you're writing. Are you saying this is a Timex or Timex derivative?

Best
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    @ Shum: sorry, I don't get what you're writing. Are you saying this is a Timex or Timex derivative?

Best
    Tomcat
    No it's just that everyone that wanted to make their watches look good put a number on the dial like 21 or in this case 27 but they only had 1 jewel inside. Timex is the only one that actually had 21 jewels so if you didn't know better you'd think they also cheated.

So it's easy if there isn't the word jewels or rubies after the number and it's not a Timex you know it's something cheap inside.
    bobbee likes this.

Hm ... I'm not aware of a Timex having any jewels - I know they had Swiss lever movements but they purchased them from DuRoWe or Citizen (if I remember correctly). Plus I do own an Ankramatic 65 with an ETA inside and I know of some boastful Roamers which also sport just a number on the dial. (But then again, you've come to expect something of a Roamer, haven't you?)

To me it's more the usage of terms like 'Super', 'Superior', often next to 'Quality' that gives a cheap watch away.

Best,
    Tomcat

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

I know there are others but they are few. Super should make you take note but I have some super models that have 17 jewels but super combined with just a number is just showing off...

Name:  P5228157.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  123.2 KB
    I see I was wrong about the Timex not putting jewels on the dials but on my versions it's only 21.
    Last edited by Shum; August 18th, 2014 at 13:21.

Again - it would be interesting to see what movement it has. According to Roland's database, Timex actually had one indigenous 21-Jewel automatic, the cal. 74 pin-pallet movement with ruby pins and the balance between "white jewels". (Roland actually doesn't have the cal. 74 in his database, only its manual relative, the 72. Why not send in your's so Roland can take some pictures for the benefit of us all ?

All other Timex automatic movements are without jewels.

Best,
    Tomcat

(Roland Ranfft)

It says 21 jewels on the box so I guess it must be a M74 inside. I will need to take a look inside the watch so it's not some trickery. Someone could have swapped a real one for a fake one and could explain why it only says 21.
    Last edited by Shum; August 18th, 2014 at 16:59.

Name:  P9038839.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  145.2 KB
    Odd I forgot to post a picture. So here it is a 21 jewel Timex automatic. Well it says so on the base plate but other then that it's not easy to spot any differences from a bog standard Timex. I actually found 3 of these watches in my big box of secrets.

So if you want something special look for a Times with only the number 21 on the dial. The number is very small and is easily hidden by the hands. On the newest one I have it doesn't even say 21 jewel on the base plate...
    Last edited by Shum; September 3rd, 2014 at 01:57.

Thread Information