Help - Small Pocket Watch Shreve & Co

Thread: Help - Small Pocket Watch Shreve & Co

Wink Help - Small Pocket Watch Shreve & Co

Hi:

I have this watch which is 1 1/4 round - I know nothing about watches. I would like to learn. The watch is gold color - Don't know where to look to see if it is Gold.

The watch say Shreve & Co on the face.
    On the watch parts it says A.W.W. Co. Waltham 15 Jewels

It has number on the inside cover 6299776 (I think).

It came from my grandmother - I can't figure out the engraving on the outside - Fancy writing.

I thought this watch was a necklace, but I put it on today and the chain is too short to read the watch.

Re: Help - Small Pocket Watch Shreve & Co

If 6299776 is the serial number from the movement itself it is a 14S 15 jewel model 1884 Waltham made in 1894.
    Pictures of the movement will help. Also if you can verify that the number you gave us was on the movement itself, not on the case.
    We can tell you if it's gold if you can post pictures of the inside of the back case cover.
    Shreve and Co. is probably a jeweler who sold the watch.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    If 6299776 is the serial number from the movement itself it is a 14S 15 jewel model 1884 Waltham made in 1894.
    Pictures of the movement will help. Also if you can verify that the number you gave us was on the movement itself, not on the case.
    We can tell you if it's gold if you can post pictures of the inside of the back case cover.
    Shreve and Co. is probably a jeweler who sold the watch.

Picture Submitted
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Shreve, Crump, and Lowe were for many decades Boston's finest jewelers. The name has been rescued from bankruptcy but I know nothing of the new owners other than they are lawyers...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Okay, serial number is 10146589.

According to online sources, that means it was made cira 1900. 15-jewel hunter-case movement, 0-size.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thanks Shangas. It's also a model 1900 Waltham in addition to being made that year.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

You're welcome. I wonder if the case is solid gold or gold filled.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Gold filled. Looks like it says "Guaranteed bla bla bla" which means gold filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Gold filled. Looks like it says "Guaranteed bla bla bla" which means gold filled.

Is the watch a man's pocket watch or a women's watch - I have never seen a watch this small.

Thank you so much for all your information.

This one is definitely a woman's watch. Men rarely wore anything smaller than a 12S during the pocket watch era. This type of small watch served as the basis for the first wrist watches as well.

Thread Information