Help with sourcing hands
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Help with sourcing hands

Help with sourcing hands

(also posted to Watchmaking Forum)

Surely there is some solution to this problem…

I have a Fortis Panavision whose hands I need to replace. As you can see from the photograph here (mine, before work began), the hands have black on the edges and luminous infill. I felt I needed to re-paint the black edging, but having tried various methods, I have to say (unless there's someone who knows a way forward on this…) that getting a sharp clean line is impossible (have tried masking liquid, film, no luck). I've since stripped off the black, a rash act I now regret, and now can't do the black edge (as I just said).

The hole sizes are (H1.50mm) and (M.90mm) – here's the problem: they are relatively short at H5.15mm and M7.85mm.

I bought a set for ETA 2836, but they are just too long and can't be cut short enough (H10.4mm x M13.5mm long); I'd thought, hoping, praying that I'd be able to cut them down, but it's just not possible, as I'd have to cut into the lume (etc).

These are the same hole sizes are (for example) ETA 2836… so I can see that Rado do similar hands, but as I'm based in the UK, I'm entirely at the mercy of Cousins Material House (no direct customer contact, and their own unique idea of how a website should search) and so I hoping that someone out there has an idea as to how to source hands which will work (as above).

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Habitant; October 1st, 2014 at 16:00.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help with sourcing hands

Now that is really weird!! Day-of-the-week in Persian/Arabic script but date in western numerals!

As for the hands, why, they look decent enough to me.....

Hartmut Richter

If i read this right you have a set of hands that are ideal but too long and you might stuff the lume if you trim them down?So would it be possible to dip the end of the oversized hand in clear laquer to protect the lume and then trim them down,if you work under magnifcation you might end up with just a miniscule amount of clear laquer at the end of the hand but still keep the lume intact.Hairdressers scissors would be ideal for getting a clean edge.
    Just a suggestion.

Apollonaught.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Now that is really weird!! Day-of-the-week in Persian/Arabic script but date in western numerals!

As for the hands, why, they look decent enough to me.....

Hartmut Richter
    Citizen did this often. My father has a Citizen auto from 1981 with this arrangement. The day wheel is in Arabic and English. It was a gift from a relative who worked in the gulf for a while.

To muddy the waters a bit, what you call 'Western' numerals are one typographical variant of 'Hindu-Arabic' numerals (as against 'Roman' numerals). I believe it is also known as 'Western-Arabic'. Unnecessary, but fun to know

Kind regards

Aditya

Kind regards

Aditya

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    To muddy the waters a bit, what you call 'Western' numerals are one typographical variant of 'Hindu-Arabic' numerals (as against 'Roman' numerals). I believe it is also known as 'Western-Arabic'. Unnecessary, but fun to know
    Yes, I know. The "Arabic" in "Arabic numerals" really refers more to the digits system (each number from 1 to 9 has its own symbol, as opposed to the Roman numeral system where some numbers are composite). The true Arabic numerals look different, though - and the Persian ones look different still (at least the numbers 4-6 do)! That's one reason why I avoided the term "Arabic numerals". The other is that it would have sounded silly to point out that "it's funny that the watch has the day-of-the-week in arabic script and the date in arabic numerals"!!!

Hartmut Richter
    aditya likes this.

Thread Information