Help with Swiss Fero

Thread: Help with Swiss Fero

Help with Swiss Fero

Hello everybody!

While I was cleaning up my house I came across this old watch. I was never particularly interested in watches, but as I like old things, it immediately sparked my interest. My grandmother told me that the watch had been bought by my great-grandfather from a German officer during the war (probably in 1943 or 1944), but I am not sure if her memory is accurate. I'm not interested in selling it, I am just curious to know more about it. It could turn out to be a low cost no-name piece of junk or maybe it's just a little more than that. But being so old, I find it fascinating anyway...
    Unfortunately I couldn't find too much info on the internet on this brand or watch type, but I'm hoping to find out more from some of you.

Thanks

Name:  P1090006.JPG
Views: 5281
Size:  770.5 KBName:  P1090010.JPG
Views: 5071
Size:  555.6 KB

Re: Help with Swiss Fero

Hi.

Fero was a brand used by a Swiss company who produced watches with movements bought in from the large makers of Swiss movements such as A Schild and FHF. See Mikrolisk - was Feines für die Tasche... - Das Informationsportal rund um die Taschenuhr! Also found with Fero Feldman on the dial.

As such, they have decent - but unexceptional - movements. I've handled two or three and they all had extensive plating wear - as yours has - so I think they skimped a bit on the thickness of gold plating on the case. The watch looks to be 1950's to me. German army issue watches did not have English writing on the back during the war and were made to a standard pattern if produced by the Swiss.

A picture of the movement would let us tell you a little more.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thank you for your precious information. I too found English writing on a German army watch strange...Does this picture provide more clues?
    Name:  P1090014.JPG
Views: 5227
Size:  714.1 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei.ss View Post
    Thank you for your precious information. I too found English writing on a German army watch strange...Does this picture provide more clues?
    Well it should. It looks familiar, but I can't place it offhand. Someone else might.

Its an EB of some sort - bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: EB 1197 or similar.

Fifteen jewel pin lever, note they put caps on the escape wheel to make up the jewel count.

Hi I have the same brand watch. I believe it is a 17 jewels. I love this each. Had it for over 25 yaars now . I have no idea whatsoever. I am just writing this to give you my two cents. If you find one if these watches just buy it eyes closed. Why? Because they are so well made. Esthetically beautiful and always ppl ask "what is this watch! ?" Very reliable as well. Leave it in your case for years and then w8ne it up and boom works like new. This is a rests picture of mine and have a rests beautiful day everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to Watchuseek! A nice watch from around the same era as that of the OP. With 17 jewels, yours also ought to have a better movement. It has a definite early 1960s look to it.

Hartmut Richter

Well, I know that Fero also used a 17j Brac and a 15j Baumgartner 34, probably amongst others.

Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information