WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

HELP for this TEUTONIA

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cinci 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, guys.
I am more an intruder in your section - I am Russian section :oops:
Well hope you will still help me. :-d
In my last flee market catch I was able to get this old pocket watch, which I liked since caliber is simmilar to some Paul Bure watches.

I have no idea what this could be. So any hint is more than welcome.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: HELP, recognize it please

The watch is a 10 jewel cylindre escapement pocket watch from ca. 1890-1910. The movement is by Teutonia, as correctly pointed out. The inside of the outer cover has a name which is probably the owners name, inscribed post hoc - it even slightly covers one of the hallmarks. Although having a Swiss movement (Teutonia was located in La Chaux de Fonds), the watch was made in Bromberg in the province of Posen, which is now in Poland (it was that bit which the Germans lost to Poland in 1918, not the bits lost in 1945). It is therefore a German watch using a Swiss movement and must have been made before 1918 - but the general style puts it rather earlier than that anyway.

Hartmut Richter

#7 ·

it seems nobody else is interested in this or knows nothing more sinse no response..
Well your post is very recent. I know nothing, but some of the more knowledgeable people may stop by in a day or two. It can take time to get responses sometimes. b-)

#5 ·

We were typing on the same time so my appologies. There is a response! And a good one!
If I may ask you, Teutonia stapms are not just on a caliber they are also on both covers. And there is another stamp in the inner cover which looks like some crown. Can this be Bromberg stamp as a factory stamp?

#6 ·

I am not aware of a Swiss Bromberg. There is an Austrian Bromberg but it is tiny. It is possible that the watch was made entirely by Teutonia for sale by a jeweller/watch vendor in Bromberg, but usually, the vendor's name would then be in the most prominent place: on the dial. If the name on the dial matches that on the inner cover, just above Bromberg (I can't decypher it from here), this is the most likely option. It would then be a Swiss watch made for sale in Bromberg, Germany. BTW, I just googled Bromberg and it seems to be in Pommern (Pomerania) rather than Posen. The rest of the historical bit still applies.

Hartmut Richter

#8 ·

On the dial there is no inscription. Just "Cronometro Titan", and that is not German but rather Italian or maybe French (sorry don't speak those to languages).
On the inside side of the first cover there is an engraving "xxxharski" (I think F. Piurharski) on the second cover above Bromberg engraving R.Kragel. So this are Polish /German surnames and together with your first explanation about the town sets the watch to Germany/Poland region.

Why watch was there -that is what is my next mission.
So I am still trying to find explanation for the second stamp. I tried to photo it but it is on a silver plate and picture is not good (high reflection). Will try tomorrow without flash or light.
With a macro lens I was able to conclude that it represent some kind of crown put in a moon last phase.

Last but not least - do you think that caliber is pure Teutonia or based on something else. I can't help but it reminds me to something else. As I said at the beginning - my firs idea was Bure, but now I am not so sure anymore.

#10 ·

... So I am still trying to find explanation for the second stamp. I tried to photo it but it is on a silver plate and picture is not good (high reflection). Will try tomorrow without flash or light.
With a macro lens I was able to conclude that it represent some kind of crown put in a moon last phase.
The crescent moon and crown is a German hallmark stating the case is made of silver, minimum silver content for this mark was .800 (80%). The mark was first used in Germany in 1886 and was compulsory after 1888.

#9 · (Edited)

Being anal, the Posen region was taken from Germany in 1919, after the infamous Versaille treaty. This despite winning the war against the russians. Germany lost Elsass Lothringen too, plus some other much smaller districts.

The "Bromberg" name seems to be added after the other engravings it is out of character. Is it stamped in?

Prucharski, with an inverted ^ over the "r", (slavonic letter, like a rz sound) ?

If this is correct, I would think the owner (maybe not the first owner) lived in a Polish speaking area. If he lived in Germany/German area/Province, I doubt he would keep the slavonic letter.

Edit. Now I am unsure if the letter I am speaking about is used in Poland.
BUT, it certainly is used in the Czech language. Could be an ethnic pole living in a Czech speaking area in Austrio Hungary
Can be a Czech name too, but should have a "/" over the last letter, the "i" . It is then pronounced as a long = ii

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.