Help with Universal Geneve Polerouter with sub bezel

Thread: Help with Universal Geneve Polerouter with sub bezel

Help with Universal Geneve Polerouter with sub bezel

Hi everyone,

I've recently seen an Universal Geneve Polerouter Date Microrotor 215-2 for sale, but not a common one.

This one has a sub bezel which I think could be from an UG Polerouter Sub Diver??

I've never seen a Polerouter with this bezel so I am pretty sure this one has been stuck in some way. But maybe some one can tell me something about it that I don't know.

The watch has a beautiful patina and I am thinking about purchasing it but I wanted to know how can this bezel affect the watch.

If its and addition, should I just take it off and done?

Thank you,

Alberto.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help with Universal Geneve Polerouter with sub bezel

I'm sure this is a UG Polerouter Date dial that has either been placed in a non UG case, or at least modified with a non UG bezel. That is definitely not a UG Polerouter Sub. It's a franken watch. I own a nice UG Sub and I spend a lot of time studying them. I would personally stay away from this watch because it has no collectible value but if it's really inexpensive and you like it, go for it.
    A second generation, symmetrical case UG Polerouter Sub with the original trapezoidal magnifier over the date just sold on Ebay for $4400! You can still buy a nice Polerouter Date in nice original condition for a few hundred dollars if you look around.

The case, whether made for UG or not, is still a decent one, made by the Piquerez company of Bassecourt. At least both patents on the case back belong to them. The patents were registered in 1956 and 1959 respectively.
    All parts look UG to me, but I'm not sure if that dial and hands fit that bezel...
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mucklechumps View Post
    I'm sure this is a UG Polerouter Date dial that has either been placed in a non UG case, or at least modified with a non UG bezel. That is definitely not a UG Polerouter Sub. It's a franken watch. I own a nice UG Sub and I spend a lot of time studying them. I would personally stay away from this watch because it has no collectible value but if it's really inexpensive and you like it, go for it.
    A second generation, symmetrical case UG Polerouter Sub with the original trapezoidal magnifier over the date just sold on Ebay for $4400! You can still buy a nice Polerouter Date in nice original condition for a few hundred dollars if you look around.
    No, of course this is not a UG Polerouter sub, I was saying it looks like a Polerouter with a Polerouter Sub BEZEL. But looking and comparing the subs bezels, this one is not from a Polerouter Sub.

The case looks right to me, a Polerouter case with back-case signed.

Movement also looks good.

The only thing is that "sub" bezel which isn't definetely from this model or even from de Polerouter Sub or any other UG.

I leave you here some comparisson pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    The case, whether made for UG or not, is still a decent one, made by the Piquerez company of Bassecourt. At least both patents on the case back belong to them. The patents were registered in 1956 and 1959 respectively.
    All parts look UG to me, but I'm not sure if that dial and hands fit that bezel...
    That bezel is definitely and addition. Look at the pictures of comparisson I've just posted.

As you've said, everything looks UG and everything matches with the Polerouter I am comparing it with in the pictures except for the bezel.

I think the first owner of this watch or whatever owner wanted to make his watch look more sporty and asked a watchmaker to add a Sub bezel.

If this is the case, it must have been stuck with glue, right? I mean, if I finaly decide to go for it, I will just have to take the bezel off and clean out the glue from the case...??

How it is attached to the rest of the case- I have no idea. What I have intended to say, is that style-wise I don't like that combination... Well, it's not the worst "modification" that I've seen, but not a good one either. Who knows, maybe the bezel was made by the same company as the case, and that's why it just fits? Dunno, really. Glue? Possibly. If it was glue indeed, then removing it is gonna be a lot of work. Just then, even if the case wasn't modified in a way that would make it impossible to fit a correct bezel, good luck finding the right part.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    How it is attached to the rest of the case- I have no idea. What I have intended to say, is that style-wise I don't like that combination... Well, it's not the worst "modification" that I've seen, but not a good one either. Who knows, maybe the bezel was made by the same company as the case, and that's why it just fits? Dunno, really. Glue? Possibly. If it was glue indeed, then removing it is gonna be a lot of work. Just then, even if the case wasn't modified in a way that would make it impossible to fit a correct bezel, good luck finding the right part.
    Definitely, I am with you. Too many obstacles for an asking price of $500... Thank you!

Thread Information