Help with Vintage Clebar Chronograph
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with Vintage Clebar Chronograph

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with Vintage Clebar Chronograph

Hey Everyone,

I just made a purchase of what I think is a pretty cool watch and was hoping to get some information on it. It's a Clebar Chronograph and I though Heuer manufactured some watches for Clebar, but I could be wrong. Really any information you can throw in about it would be great. Also, I wanted to know if I paid a fair price for it at $200 USD. I thought it seemed reasonable.

Looking forward to some cool feedback,

Matt

Name:  $_57.JPG
Views: 508
Size:  168.3 KB
    Name:  $_57-1.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  149.8 KB
    Name:  $_57-2.JPG
Views: 483
Size:  153.5 KB
    Name:  $_57-3.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  134.1 KB
    Name:  $_57-4.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  157.2 KB
    bobbee and busmatt like this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Re: Help with Vintage Clebar Chronograph

Reasonable price, but for the love of Gods, lose the yellow sweep hand!
    Sdasurrey and busmatt like this.

Very weird light in the photos :) How does it look in daylight?
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a nice one , and the yellow second reminds me of the sinful job a watchmaker had done to my Urra (before I bought it):

(At least, it wasn't yellow ... )

The movement is a Landeron 248 (the number is visible beneath the balance). Unfortunately, I can't make out the writing on the chronograph bridge or whether there's an import code on the balance cock. This information might help us to decide which of the three 'Clebar' entries your watches has been manufactured by:

Clebar Clebar Watch Co. Großuhren, Kleinuhren, Gehäuse, Uhrwerke, Uhrenteile; New York, USA; registriert am 21.9.1925
    Clebar Montres Zodiac SA / Fils de Ariste Calame Le Locle, Neuchâtel und Genf, Schweiz; gegründet 1882
    Clebar Leonidas Watch Co. SA St.-Imier, Schweiz; registriert am 20.12.1958

I take it it's the first one - you bought it in the States, right?

Your watchmaker should not only replace the second hand, but minute and hour hand as well, which are both a trifle too long. Their style fits the watch, though, so I'd look for the same kind of hands. Ideally, your watchmaker should complement the set with a 'wire' type second hand.

Best,
    Tomcat
    bobbee and busmatt like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Numerals look to be 'lumed, so some sympatico minute and hour hands would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    That's a nice one , and the yellow second reminds me of the sinful job a watchmaker had done to my Urra (before I bought it):

(At least, it wasn't yellow ... )

The movement is a Landeron 248 (the number is visible beneath the balance). Unfortunately, I can't make out the writing on the chronograph bridge or whether there's an import code on the balance cock. This information might help us to decide which of the three 'Clebar' entries your watches has been manufactured by:

Clebar Clebar Watch Co. Großuhren, Kleinuhren, Gehäuse, Uhrwerke, Uhrenteile; New York, USA; registriert am 21.9.1925
    Clebar Montres Zodiac SA / Fils de Ariste Calame Le Locle, Neuchâtel und Genf, Schweiz; gegründet 1882
    Clebar Leonidas Watch Co. SA St.-Imier, Schweiz; registriert am 20.12.1958

I take it it's the first one - you bought it in the States, right?

Your watchmaker should not only replace the second hand, but minute and hour hand as well, which are both a trifle too long. Their style fits the watch, though, so I'd look for the same kind of hands. Ideally, your watchmaker should complement the set with a 'wire' type second hand.

Best,
    Tomcat
    So what I seem to be getting is that neither of the three main hands of the watch are not original. This information in hand, should I be concerned about this being somewhat of a frakenwatch? I did buy this in the US, and once I get the watch in hand I'll be sure to post better pictures of the movement.

Also, when I bring this to my watchmaker, what would you guy recommend about doing with the dial? I'm not looking to have it redone or something as dramatic as that, but I do you think it would be possible to clean it up from some of the superficial markings it has on it?

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it,

Matt

Redial... and sorry not that good....or it could be the photo??.....Sorry uncool feedback.....!! Always factor in a service cost when buying a vintage chronograph (unless you can do it?) .....Around 500AUD if you have a good watchmaker..... so then ask is it a good deal????
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Sorry, so you're saying I should redial the watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtakata9 View Post
    Sorry, so you're saying I should redial the watch?

It is a redial....
    WatchFred likes this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by jackruff View Post
    It is a redial....
    How can you tell? I ask because I'm just getting into this and don't yet understand how someone can tell so quickly, but would obviously like to be able to discern this so readily.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information