Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By nandro12
  • 4 Post By Tomcat1960
  • 1 Post By James A
  • 1 Post By gatorcpa

Thread: Help! Vintage Melrose Chronographe

Help! Vintage Melrose Chronographe

Hey everyone,
    I have been collecting watches for a few years now and I'm new to watchuseek. A month or so ago, I bought this watch from a jewelry shop in Santa Monica, CA but I can't seem to find much information about it or the movement inside it anywhere. If you could help identify anything about the watch it would be greatly appreciated!Name:  image_1.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  227.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  221.3 KBName:  photo.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  222.9 KB
    Last edited by nandro12; August 14th, 2014 at 22:19.
    bobbee and James A like this.

Re: Help! Vintage Melrose Chronographe

Hi, and welcome to WUS/F11.

That is a beautiful chronograph you've got there. According to mikrolisk.de, Melrose was a brand of Schwob Frčres & Cie., La-Chaux-De-Fonds, Switzerland. Apparently they bought (or simply re-used) the name of the old Melrose Watch Co. of Melrose, Mass., USA.

Movement inside is a Lemania 1270, a nice, robust, cam-switched chronograph movement.

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Hi,

Welcome and a great piece.

Regards,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the helpful info Tomcat! Unfortunately, the hour gear seems to be shot in this watch, as it doesn't ever quite sync up with where it should be. My assumption is that this watch is all original, so I'm wondering if it would be worth getting fixed or if it makes sense to just leave it as is? It is gaining about 2 mins/day which isn't terrible, but can be somewhat annoying. The chronograph function sort of works but gets stuck, and the minute register at 3 has never counted minutes as the seconds hand get stuck at about 15-20 seconds. I'm assuming that refinishing the dial and replacing the hesalite crystal would ruin a bit of the character the watch has gained over time, but just wanted to see what everyone else's opinions on doing anything were/if doing the movement work was worth it? Thanks again everyone!

And thanks James A! Glad to be here!

I'd say that replacing the crystal is a must. That's likely not the original anyway and even if it was, this is considered like changing the wiper blades on an old car. Just not a big deal. Dial looks to be in decent condition and not in need of further work.

The watch looks to be better than the average (Landeron/Venus) generic chronograph. I would suggest contact Craig Bergsma at Chronodeco.com. He'll know the current value and he'll likely can guide you better as to whether it makes sense to invest the considerable dollars that it will take to get that watch into top condition.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    nandro12 likes this.

Hey thanks gatorcpa! I will definitely do so. Appreciate it!

Thread Information