Help with vintage omega
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shum

Thread: Help with vintage omega

Help with vintage omega

Hi WUS, I am in the market for a vintage seamaster, but ebay has me confused. I see alot of redials out of south korea, but I was hoping someone can point me to a trusted seller on the bay for non franken, redial etc. Thanks

Re: Help with vintage omega

Maybe check out the sales forum here. There was quite some talking about vintage Omega watches here in the Vintage forum quite recently... eBay is a minefield when you look at the Omegas there. Yes, there are pieces which are entirely OK, but the more I look at them, the more it all seems like looking for a needle in a haystack. Lots of Geneve models are "turned" into Seamasters, as the latter are more desirable. Of course, you might as well post the links to listings that interest you, and we might be able to identify the watches and determine whether they are fully original or not. Redialled Omegas aren't only a South Korean thing- generally, as far as I know, at some point the paint used for the dials back in the 50s and 60s was quite vulnerable to any exposure to humidity... This makes non-redialled pieces even harder to find. Moreover, keep in mind that you are looking at a brand, watches by which are some of the most frequently faked and frankened. Well, in terms of faking, Omegas are rivalling Rolexes and Breitlings.
    Last edited by mkws; May 31st, 2015 at 00:59.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thank you, to be honest I am a little frightend to buy off the bay. I like the look of the vintage pieces, but I think I need to educate myself more on vintage pieces. To hopefully avoid a mistake

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A nice redail is no problem for me and most others but it's when they remake the watch into something it never was that puts me off.

check out this thread where several of us discussed this last week
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/hel...a-1942537.html

there are some good resources in there where you can learn more and educate yourself on what is real.

That's the thread I've been talking about. As to redials, the trouble is, that many of them, even when they are near perfect, are not exactly worth the same as an untouched dial in a really good condition, and yet they sell for even more. I'd say that the measure of how good a redial is, is when you have a hard time telling the real thing from a re-painted one. When I see such a redial, it is not really the fact that it is one that puts me off. It's the price.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    That's the thread I've been talking about. As to redials, the trouble is, that many of them, even when they are near perfect, are not exactly worth the same as an untouched dial in a really good condition, and yet they sell for even more. I'd say that the measure of how good a redial is, is when you have a hard time telling the real thing from a re-painted one. When I see such a redial, it is not really the fact that it is one that puts me off. It's the price.
    Yes so true but then you could bet it's buyers that just don't know better. The upside is that one could find a watch with great patina and pay less.
    mkws likes this.

Thread Information