Help with vintage Omega

Thread: Help with vintage Omega

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with vintage Omega

Hi guys, a few months ago, my father-in-law gave me his vintage Omega when he learned of my interest in watches. The info I have is that he bought it for $200 in Vietnam in 1967. He had it serviced a few times but it is on the original bracelet. I do have some watch tools but have yet to open a caseback and would like to avoid it if possible, though I know that a shot of the movement would be extremely helpful. I know that these watches were known as "pie pans" or "connie's" but know little else about them or my particular watch. I apologize for the poor quality of pics but my lens on the Nikon seems finicky tonight. Any additional information on this watch would be great. Would 1967 be the likely year this watch was made. Thanks.

Rolex 116523
    Rolex 326933
    Rolex 116610LV
    Rolex 116621
    Audemars Piguet 15400ST
    Audemars Piguet 26170ST
    JLC Master Compressor Navy SEAL's Diving Alarm
    Breitling Chronomat B01
    PAM 1499
    Omega Constellation 1967
    Titan Automatic
    G Shock

Banned

Re: Help with vintage Omega

You have a gold capped (kind like very thick gold plating) Constellation 168.005, and it was a 60's watch for sure. The edges of the pie pan are crisp and the hands are the correct length so it does look original. Not sure about that crown though. The bracelet is called a Beads of Rice. Nice heirloom! If you can advance the date by pushing and pulling the crown it has a caliber 564, if you can only advance the date by rotating the hands it's a caliber 561. The serial number on the movement will tell the year it was made.

A very nice heirloom watch. Our Phillies Fan gave you more detail than I could. But I will note for $100-200 you can have the watch serviced by a local watchmaker. Or an Omega AD can do it for about $450. This watch is too nice not to be serviced!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In my mind, that is one of the most desirable vintage Omega model/bracelet combinations, especially if it has the 564 movement.

Yes, and you have a really nice seven row beads of rice bracelet. Lovely patina on the dial - do nothing to change that. An occasional service (every five to six years) will ensure that this watch is an heirloom well into he future.

I am thinking that a 67 watch bought in Vietnam will probably be a cal 561 which has the non quick-set date.

You must kiss your father-in-law on the cheek for having given you such an iconic model - 168.005!

Cheers

desmond

Nice Omega, even if this watch has the 561 movement it is still 'quick set'
    even though it is not commonly called such.

The quick set mechanism on the 561 means that you don't have to advance
    the watch 24hrs just to gain a day on the date. Simply wind the watch back to
    nine oclock and advance until the date clicks over and then repeat....this was
    a quick set mechanism in its day and is still reasonably quick.

Thank you guys so much for the info! Sorry for the delay in response but work has been busy and the site was down last night when I checked. You guys are awesome!

It is a caliber 561 where you have to advance the date by moving the hands. After hearing your responses I am definitely going to get this watch serviced and you guys have really sparked my interest in learning more about vintage watches! Thanks again:thanks

Rolex 116523
    Rolex 326933
    Rolex 116610LV
    Rolex 116621
    Audemars Piguet 15400ST
    Audemars Piguet 26170ST
    JLC Master Compressor Navy SEAL's Diving Alarm
    Breitling Chronomat B01
    PAM 1499
    Omega Constellation 1967
    Titan Automatic
    G Shock

Sorry to disagree but cal 561 has never been called 'quick set' by Omega in its official calibre records. In fact, the first CORR (translated - rapid or quick set) calibres mentioned in Omega records were cals 563, 564 and 565.

I agree that cal 561 had an easier and more efficient date setting mechanism, but if we are to be really pedantic then we must make a distinction between the 27.90 RA SC PC AM CAL 561 and the 27.90 RA SC PC CAL CORR 564.

So it is correct to call the 564 a quickset and not correct to call a 561 a quickset

Cheers

Desmond

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Nice Omega, even if this watch has the 561 movement it is still 'quick set'
    even though it is not commonly called such.

The quick set mechanism on the 561 means that you don't have to advance
    the watch 24hrs just to gain a day on the date. Simply wind the watch back to
    nine oclock and advance until the date clicks over and then repeat....this was
    a quick set mechanism in its day and is still reasonably quick.

Your argument is certainly valid but calibers that can be advanced by turning back to 10:00 or 9:30 should be differentiated from those that can not.

Quote Originally Posted by mondodec View Post
    Sorry to disagree but cal 561 has never been called 'quick set' by Omega in its official calibre records. In fact, the first CORR (translated - rapid or quick set) calibres mentioned in Omega records were cals 563, 564 and 565.

I agree that cal 561 had an easier and more efficient date setting mechanism, but if we are to be really pedantic then we must make a distinction between the 27.90 RA SC PC AM CAL 561 and the 27.90 RA SC PC CAL CORR 564.

So it is correct to call the 564 a quickset and not correct to call a 561 a quickset

Cheers

Desmond
    No problem, I expected disagreement for my use of the term 'quick set'
    applied to the cal561.

My only concern was to clarify the 561's quick setting mechanism
    compared to a non quick setting mechanism as applied to other watches
    where changing the date meant advancing the hands a full 24hrs.

If it's not correct to call the cal561's quick setting mechanism quick set
    would 'fast set' be OK? What did Omega call it?

As Nsmike pointed out, I think it is important to make a distinction or
    the uninitiated reading that their watch is not 'quick set' may miss out
    on the quick setting feature of the 561...which I agree is different from
    other quick setting mechanisms.

I agree that distinctions need to be made between the different types
    of quick setting cals but to say that one cal is quick set whilst the 561 is
    not, is not strictly true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information