Help with a vintage silver pocket watch
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Help with a vintage silver pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with a vintage silver pocket watch

Dear all,

Today is my lucky day! I bought this nice silver pocket watch for a good price at an antiques fair.

Well, I have some questions. What kind of a movement is this Donar? It also says Depose, which I think means something like trade mark?

Do you think the second hand is original? Compared to the hour and minute hands, it seems odd that the color is black.

It says 0.800 on the inner side, along with some other hallmarks.

Why do the serial numbers not match? The one in the inner lid, and the one on the mechanism.

Finally, what does F,A and S,R mean? Thanks a lot...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help with a vintage silver pocket watch

Here are the Mikrolisk results for Donar:
    Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index
    F and A mean fast/avance, S and R mean slow/retard. They indicate the ends of the regulator scale... In this case, your watch seems to be properly adjusted, but as with every new purchase a service is something I would recommend.
    Usually, "depose" means that something about the watch is a registered trademark (a patent would be indicated by a cross, a "Brevet" inscription and a number).
    Why don't the numbers match? Why would they? Even if cases and movements follow the same numbering system, it is unlikely that a movement is placed in a case which has a number even close to the movement serial.
    SilkeN and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thank you very much for the information. What year you think it was made? 60s? And is it Europran or American case? The movement is Swiss right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

European case. Coin silver. The '0,800' means that it is 80% silver. Movement is Swiss.

I would date the watch to late 1800s- early 1900s, given the fact that it's stem wound and pin set. However, some pin set PWs were even produced up to the 1920s, if I remember correctly.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Wow! Late 1800s! That's a keeper! One last question: the second dial is orignal right? It does not match the other hands, but matches the color of the numbers in the dial...

Depending on the arabic letters and the 24 hour numbers in red its sureley made after 1900. You still an find pin sets until 1920. Fashon is very reliable indicator. The "rebirth" of the Niellotechnic for pocket watch cases also was very modern at 1900 and a higher proportion was build in the beginning century. I would date this watch around 1910.
    You write the silver content 800 and I see the german silverhallmark: crown with crescent. THe case is probably also swiss and most of thoses cases are made by Huguenin freres. I guess you can find a HF anywhere nd the swiss hallmark.
    I think that the second hand is orginal but he others should be also smal pears blue steel ones. This would match with case, timeline and dial.
    Really a very nice preserved tula case without spalling. A service and you'll get a wonderful nice wearable watch.

Kind regards Silke the fashion consultant
    Apollonaught and Mirius like this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Hi there,

can't add much to Silke's post, except a later manufacturing year.

Consider that oppinions which many agree upon become a sort of virtual truth. And even if only a minority believes something, but the majority doesn't mind, this happens, because people who don't mind are usually more tolerant than hard-core believers.

Gods, global climate change, and big bang are well known examples for such vitrual truths. Nobody can prove them, nobody can deny them, and as the majority doesn't mind, people believe already that in the near future one can generate a privat big bang.with ordinary kitchen equipment.

Age of antiques are a similar thing, although more important: Descriptions are usually written by sellers, and as age sells well, they tend to assign a higher age than actually true. Unfortunately there are some records of makers which allow a proof, but I guess with the help of the mighty Google we can ignore them sooner or later.

I posted a short survey about the style evolution of pendants, crowns, and dials around 1900 here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/hel...-536982-2.html
    All details can be confrmed by data from manufacturer records, and therefore can be used until the virtual truth will replace them.

So the watch of the o.p. can still be dated near 1925 after the pesent state of knowledge. But like everything it wiil become older with time, and for antiques this goes faster than for ordinary things of daily use.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Hi Roland, ás I saw the dial I thought also twenties but the time set pin irritates me. Its a good quality watch for use and I didn' expect time et by pin within this aera. I've seen a very few dateable tula watches they are betwen 1905 and 1924. All looks orginal and I thought a modern dial is possble ..surely you're right.

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Dear all/ , thank you for the information. This is what I wrote yesterday, but never had time to post it. Well, it is exactly what you have said. I will post it anyways :)

I have been doing some online research. Here is what I found.

The watch has two separate silver hallmarks, two grouses for Swiss 0.800 silver, and a half moon and imperial crown for German 0.800 silver.

Well, the Swiss used grouses from 1880 till 1933, and the German Empire used the half moon and crown from 1886 till (I assume) they became a Federal Republic in 1918. Also, Germans would import watches from the Swiss and stamp their hallmark, thus the two different hallmarks. So, I would place it to sometime between 1886 and 1918. Just like you suggested.

The letter H in the shield. I wonder what that is... and the single B letter right under the serial number..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information