Help with Vintage Waltham World War II movement

Thread: Help with Vintage Waltham World War II movement

Help with Vintage Waltham World War II movement

Hello - I have a Waltham 6/0 '42 movement which I recently purchased. The movement is a center second sweep which I figured would be an A-11 movement - a 10616 - but upon inspection turned out to have 17 jewels and no hacking function. The serial number appears to date to the 1940s - it begins with 31415...

Anyone have any insight on this? I'm assuming because of the 17th jewel it is a 10617 - but I'm confused because the ones I've come across doing some research appear to have a second hand in the bottom of the face and appear to be made in the 1950s.

Also - if it is a 10617 movement from the 1940s - does anyone have any insight or links for details of this movement? Was it a war time production as I figured? I have searched but not found much on its history - I'd appreciate any insight available!

Thanks!!

Name:  upload.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  75.5 KB

Re: Help with Vintage Waltham World War II movement

What's the exact serial number? And are you able to remove the balance wheel and take a picture of the gears? The "hack" on the 6/0's was just a piece of wire attached to a swing part, so it might have just been removed or broken off. Another possibility (depending on the serial) is that it's actually a 6/0C or 6/0D that's had its seconds bridge replaced. After the war, this was pretty much the only commercially viable mens movement Waltham had, so it was used in their post-war consumer products.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Sure didn't think the full number was relevant. It is 31415253. I'm not I. The position to take it apart any further but when I see my watchmaker I can have him dig a little further... Again any info is appreciated!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Odd, the NAWCC online database shows it as a grade 10616 with 17j, while the actual Waltham Grey Book shows it as a 10617. Normally I'd take the word of the database over the book (it's from multiple sources and there are known errors in the grey book), but in this case I suspect the database has the wrong grade recorded. My material book shows that the 10617's were sub-second and known as Model 6/0B - 17jewel, but does note that the A-11 was also known as the 6/0B-SS 16 jewel. It's not impossible that they used 10617's to meet additional A11 demand, but there's nothing I can find to substantiate this. Date is listed as July, 1943; pretty much all watch production would have gone to the war effort at that point.

my records show 1943
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Do you happen to have a photo of the 1940s 10617 which I could use? The sweep second hand on this watch appears to have been replaced and I'm also trying to find a NOS to replace it with. The hands are a blue colored chrome - I'm thinking the second-hand should have been as well...instead it looks kinda brownish.

This is super interesting to me - and yes to the first question, the movement is associated with a probable Russian war relief watch.
    Last edited by thediplomat1; July 10th, 2013 at 01:15.

I only have pictures of a couple of 6/0 D models; I have some other 6/0 movements in my parts bins though. My D's are both post war consumer products with gold hands; if your hands look blueish, they're probalby blued steel, and I'd expect the second hand to be that way too.

Name:  Watch.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  242.6 KBName:  Watch3.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  245.0 KB

Thread Information