Help with vintage wedding watch

Thread: Help with vintage wedding watch

Help with vintage wedding watch

I'm not a watch collector, but I'd like to be. Currently, my only watch is a quartz VSA Cavalry that I bought in high school. I've been a lurker on these forums for over 6 months and I've learned a lot, but there's so much left to learn.

I'm getting married in May and my fiancee has decided to buy me a watch as a wedding present. I really love the look of vintage watches, and I especially like the size of them, as my wrists are embarrassingly small (like, 6.25"). Since this is for my wedding, I'd like a dress watch in stainless steel, and because my fiancee and I are both poor grad students, the budget is $650, including a servicing after purchase if necessary.

My dilemma is that because this is a wedding present and inevitably will have sentimental value, I'm worried about ending up with a franken if I buy on ebay. I don't want to end up regretting a watch that will have so much meaning. I've used the search function to find tips on buying vintage, but it seems like most of those threads always say something along the lines of "You'll probably buy the wrong thing the first time out," which is what frightens me.

I've been scanning ebay for months, but I'm at a point of analysis paralysis coupled with a lack of confidence in my ability to identify fakes. Would you all suggest I buy through a more trusted online store (Like Darlor or Farfo) or do you have suggestions on using ebay if I need to get it right?
    Right now, I'm looking at a few, and your advice would be greatly appreciated:
    Omega constellation cal. 751
    Omega Geneve cal 563
    Longines Flagship

Finally, thank you all for the great wealth of information you provide. It's been a great experience reading all the posts on this forum. And thanks for reading this long post if you've gotten to this point.

Re: Help with vintage wedding watch

darlor and farfo are fine outfits and charge prices comensurate with online dealers. They also will give you some warranty on service i think.

As for the 751-I was thinking of bidding on this myself(a very low bid and mostly for fun) so I obviously think its a nce package-with the band and the ss bracelet as well. However-if your bidding and want a chance to win it-I dont mind holding off as I just recently won a gold cal 751. This is nice watch for a vintage and future heirloom piece. some may tell you to look for an even more classic connie in the late 50s or early 60s in a pie-pan. I happen to prefer dome dials myself. But a constellation cal 5xx series in the same conditon as this 751 should easily be had now on bay for well within your budget incld a service. I would suggest that if your sticking with vintage Omega (im a big Omega fan) you submit any question you have over at the omega forum as well as here.

The geneve looks okay and I think the dial is original. you may want a second opinion on this. the cal 563 is correct I belive and you'll have a better shot at getting this below $400. And the Longines Flagship is very nice but priced too high as I was able to get one at a veru bargain price of $125 on bay which means you should be able to get a very nice ss flagshipor conquest for $300 easily. hope this helps and good luck w your wedding
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

If you were considering a Hamilton electric, then try to see what inventory Rondeau has. You can't go wrong with a Hammy that's been in his hands.
    Vintage Hamilton Electric Watches By The Leading Authority - René Rondeau - Dealer of Other Fine Vintage Timepieces
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

We have a local watchmaker that always has nice vintage stuff in his shop. I think in his downtime he fixes them up and services them and it gives him watches to sell. I think a few watchmakers probably do something like this. It might be worth a few calls in your local area to see if somebody near you does this. You could still post pictures here for advice on particular pieces, and you would have a chance to try them on.

Hope grad school is going well...Congradulations on your up coming wedding...Best of luck in all things.

Banned

Thanks for your help, guys! I'll ask over in the Omega forum as well.

LECOULTRE MEMOVOX ALARM MANUAL WIND GOLD FILLED 35 mm - eBay (item 330516192834 end time Jan-16-11 07:02:34 PST)

I'm living through you right now, get it. If you don't know much about lecoultre, do a little research and I'm sure you'll be impressed.

I have a 563 Omega and I love it. However, the Lecoultre is in a whole different league.

How about A Universal Geneve? I've seen some (Polerouters, microrotor movts) go below your budget on the 'Bay recently.

Sent you a pm.
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

Thread Information