Help with Waltham 18s Model 1883 Crescent Street - Is it rust/oxidation?

Thread: Help with Waltham 18s Model 1883 Crescent Street - Is it rust/oxidation?

Help with Waltham 18s Model 1883 Crescent Street - Is it rust/oxidation?

I've been working on a gorgeous Waltham Model 1883 Crescent Street. I cleaned it "by the book" last week and as I was putting it back together yesterday I noticed something odd above the word "Adjusted". At first I thought it was merely something that landed there, but when I tried to removed it with pegwood it wouldn't come off. Then there's the coloration, almost rust-like. So I went back and compared photos from before and after cleaning and to my shock/surprise (horror is the better word) I saw that it wasn't there before my cleaning. I wasn't aware that these plates could rust or oxidize, and certainly not so quickly. I always finish cleaning with two rinses in rubbing alcohol followed by gentle heat drying (blow dryer) and let them air dry (in a very non-humid work environment) for a few minutes before putting them back into the parts tray (about a week ago I cleaned it).

My photos (before and now) aren't the best, but I hope it's enough that some experienced folks might be able to tell me what it is and how best to stop/remove it. I have vinegar and alum, but I'm a little concerned about using anything that might damage the viewable top plate any further than it is now.

Any suggestions or ideas about how to proceed?

Thank you in advance!

~ Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help with Waltham 18s Model 1883 Crescent Street - Is it rust/oxidation?

Hi Jeff,

peeled off nickel, making the brass visible. Principally the spots can be plated again after removing the stain from the brass, but the question is, whether the result is satisfying. Honestly, I'd leave it alone.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Re: Help with Waltham 18s Model 1883 Crescent Street - Is it rust/oxidation?

Hi Roland, thanks for your reply. I'm glad to know it is not something more serious. Still, I didn't know that Nickel could peel off so easily. Now I know! Best regards, ~ Jeff

Thread Information