Help with Waltham Diver

Thread: Help with Waltham Diver

Question Help with Waltham Diver

Hello everybody,

I saw this old diver and bought it for just an apple and an egg (Dutch expression! ). It was very cheap.

The dial is in great shape only the plexi is scratched and the case has been worn. The finished steel colour is gone on the edges. The movement looks fine but needs a service.... there is almost no amplitude.

Unfortunately I can't find anything about this diver and was hoping for some information. About quality of the movement, time period, etc. Id id find some other divers from Waltham but they have solid steel cases and not this Cushion shape.
    Also is it worth to service this watch by my watchmaker?? Off course any other comments about the watch are also welcome!

Thank you for the time and answers.

Pictures are from my iPhone, so not that great.....

Here a bigger picture of the movement and inside of the case:

Last edited by Bidle; February 1st, 2011 at 18:46.

Re: Help with Waltham Diver

It's a fairly standard swiss-made watch from the early 70's; I think the Waltham name had been sold to MZ Berger by then, but I'm not sure. Ironically, the watch case and dial make no effort whatsoever to indicate that the watch has even basic water resistance. However, I do see what looks like a gasket ring, and the use of Tritium is consistent with a decent quality dive watch. The movement looks simply finished, but that's not surprising for that era. If you look carefully under the balance wheel, you may see a maker mark and caliber number.

Because it's a base-metal bezel, I wouldn't put a lot of money on being able to restore its water resistence (and wouldn't trust it anyway), but it looks like a nice period example of a diving watch. Probably wouldn't end up being worth more the cost to restore it though.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Hi. It looks like a 1970's dive style watch using a handwind swiss movement. The watch was branded with the Waltham name. I suspect that the case is chrome plated. Where the chrome has either worn chipped off is where you are seeing a loss of steel color. That style was very popular back then. If you like the watch and are willing to spend a small amount of money cleaning and reoiling the movement I suspect it will run for many years to come. Your watchmaker may be able to polish the crystal and remove many of the scratches. That alone will make the watch look much much better.

You should spend money on the watch only if you will enjoy and wear the watch. In my opinion you won't be able to recover your expenses in a sale.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    It's a fairly standard swiss-made watch from the early 70's; I think the Waltham name had been sold to MZ Berger by then, but I'm not sure. Ironically, the watch case and dial make no effort whatsoever to indicate that the watch has even basic water resistance. However, I do see what looks like a gasket ring, and the use of Tritium is consistent with a decent quality dive watch. The movement looks simply finished, but that's not surprising for that era. If you look carefully under the balance wheel, you may see a maker mark and caliber number.

Because it's a base-metal bezel, I wouldn't put a lot of money on being able to restore its water resistence (and wouldn't trust it anyway), but it looks like a nice period example of a diving watch. Probably wouldn't end up being worth more the cost to restore it though.
    Thx for your comment, unfortunately I can't read the caliber... not even with a special glass (making it bigger)... I'll probably leave it as it is...

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Hi. It looks like a 1970's dive style watch using a handwind swiss movement. The watch was branded with the Waltham name. I suspect that the case is chrome plated. Where the chrome has either worn chipped off is where you are seeing a loss of steel color. That style was very popular back then. If you like the watch and are willing to spend a small amount of money cleaning and reoiling the movement I suspect it will run for many years to come. Your watchmaker may be able to polish the crystal and remove many of the scratches. That alone will make the watch look much much better.

You should spend money on the watch only if you will enjoy and wear the watch. In my opinion you won't be able to recover your expenses in a sale.
    Your spot on regarding the case. My English isn't that good and couldn't get the right name but it is almost the same as in my language. Any way you are right about the case and it will never be the same.
    I like it but not so much to restore it, simply as it cost too much. I paid only a few dollars, so in that perspective it isn't a big loss. I'll keep it and just look at it once a while. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bidle View Post
    Your spot on regarding the case. My English isn't that good and couldn't get the right name but it is almost the same as in my language. Any way you are right about the case and it will never be the same.
    I like it but not so much to restore it, simply as it cost too much. I paid only a few dollars, so in that perspective it isn't a big loss. I'll keep it and just look at it once a while. :)
    that's a pretty shame, the watch is very beautiful

regards

Banned

Agree, Looks very nice with the Red Seconds Hand!

Hi Bidle,

in such large scale produced cases often the calibre is stamped in- or outside the back:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&FHF_969_4

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; February 7th, 2011 at 07:20.

Hi, Ebay on sale diver with similar face and case ,but the movement is incomperehensible.
    With respect,Pavel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on your new diver!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information