help with waltham pocket watch

Thread: help with waltham pocket watch

Question help with waltham pocket watch

Hi-I have looked through a few pages on the internet re Waltham pocket watches for info....I have wanted to get one for awhile and I have been offered one for $100.00 canadian,working ......sorry do not have pictures(nothing too fancy)....do all Walthams have screw off backs??.....any difference in collectability re the different Companies up until the late 50's....is the only consideration for me, is to identify the movement.....any help appreciated..I know there is alot of knowledge here..thanks

Re: help with waltham pocket watch

There's a massive amount of variability in the cost/value just accross the products produced by Waltham alone; add in other manufactures, and you'll see prices ranging from $30 to $30,000.

Identifying the movment is critical. The cases were (at least up until around the 20's) made and sold by seperate companies. However, certain types of watches did come cased by the watch company or by the company that "ordered" the watches (as in Ball watches). You'll find screw off backs are about as common as snap-backs, but it depends on the size and grade.

In terms of Waltham, they were pretty top grade up until around 1910; then they had a some management issues. Quality dropped and never really recovered. They were also rather conservative, so their models tended to follow the trends, rather then lead them.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Picture Re: help with waltham pocket watch

Hi-thks for the reply....here are some pictures.....seems to keep good time....case is the PHILADELPHIA WATCH CASE CO....from what I've read...$100.00 seems fair....based on serial, watch dates to around 1908...thks again
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can't make out the serial, but it looks like a 16s model '99. As a 15 jewel movement with an unnamed grade, it would have been a upper-middle grade watch. I'd say its a good deal; I've seen watch chains alone go for more then that. Dial and hands look nice, and the case seems original to the movement. And this is a watch that will only become more valuable as time goes on. Look after it (i.e., have it serviced every 5-7 years if you're using is regularly), and it'll keep working longer then you will.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Hey Hctaw,

That looks like a pretty dandy watch there. 15-jewels was considered a good, middle/upper-middle quality of movement. It should keep good time once it's been serviced.

The chain is a ring-clip chain and it was clipped around the belt-loop of your trousers or jeans. The watch then slipped comfortably into your trousers watch-pocket (the little, fifth pocket on the right).

Some trousers & jeans manufacturers still make jeans big enough to fit pocket watches so you could very easily wear it.

Or if not, you could wear it with an Albert chain and suit.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information