Help With a Waltham Pocket Watch

Thread: Help With a Waltham Pocket Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help With a Waltham Pocket Watch

Hello All,

I'm hoping that you can help me with a watch my friend has. She was going thru her father's house after his death and found this watch. She did not think much of it, but I was taken by it. The Face has Waltham on it the back appears to be silver and the face is gold color. It looks like it needs a good cleaning, maybe have the crystal removed and the insides cleaned. Since I set the watch on saturday, it has kept perfect time. Here are a couple of pictures, thank you in advance for the help.

Picasa Web Albums - Mike L
    Picasa Web Albums - Mike L

Re: Help With a Waltham Pocket Watch

Not sure,looks like mid 20's waltham, 17 or 21 jewel 12 size.

Unscrew the caseback and take a picture of the movement.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Mike,

Interesting watch. I agree, it's probably 1920s, just by the shape of the numbers. Angular, blocky Art Deco styles came in during the 20s and 30s.

The watch will need to be serviced by a professional watchmaker. They can also replace/clean the crystal and clean the dial for you at the same time and should regulate the watch for you as well so that it keeps proper time. Just because it's running fine now doesn't mean that it always will - Running a watch without lubrication will damage it.

Just from the look of the caseback, I agree with Erik, it's probably a screw-on caseback. It should be relatively easy to unscrew, but make sure you grip the watch firmly before you try this, or the watch can go shooting out of your hands and fly across the room. That nearly happened to me once, and I nearly choked in my heart.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

That font on the numbers was most common on the 12 size, although they were using it up into the 40's. Could be anything under the dial, really. Its not one of their higher-end dials, so probably a middle grade 12s or colonial.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thank you all for the help, I have unscrewed the back case and have the serial number, I will send pictures of it hopefully tonight. The case back has B&B on it and a model number, the script on the watch itself is correct for Waltham. I've stopped winding the watch and am looking for a place in the Los Angeles area to take it and have it repaired correctly for my friend.

Oh you tease, you didn't even give us the serial number! ;)
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Sorry, it's on my computer at home and I'm at work. I promise I will post it.

Just make sure you get the correct serial number. Most watches have two. The number on the CASE and the number on the MOVEMENT. We need the movement serial-number to be able to date it and find out information about its quality, etc. Oh, and photos of the movement as well, if you can.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Hi All,

Sorry for keeping you in suspense, had some things come up and this is the first time I've had to post. Here is a link to the photos I took with the back off:

Picasa Web Albums - Mike L - 2010-11-15

The serial number appears to be 23998133 the case is marked B&B and you can see the serial number on the back. I'm going to guess that the case was either purchased separate from the watch or the internals were purchased from Waltham and then put into the case?

Thanks for all your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information