Help with watch

Thread: Help with watch

Help with watch

Hi there. I have purchased a Sekonda Autodate Deluxe 29 jewel wristwatch I think from the 50s or 60s. It looks fantastic and winds lovely. The second hand goes round the dial perfectly and the date change works well. The problem is, is that the minute and hour hands don't move? They turn when you pull out the crown to adjust the time, but don't move to keep the time, anyone got any ideas as to why? Thank you.
    Last edited by steveluigi; March 7th, 2008 at 03:46.

Re: Help with watch

Presumably the date only changes when you manually advance the hands? and I imagine when you manually set the hands they move very easily?

This watch has a loose cannon pinion. This is a slip-clutch mechanism which allows manually setting the hands. If this is too loose the movement will not be able to turn the hands when it is running although the second hand works. This watch needs service to repair this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Presumably the date only changes when you manually advance the hands? and I imagine when you manually set the hands they move very easily?

This watch has a loose cannon pinion. This is a slip-clutch mechanism which allows manually setting the hands. If this is too loose the movement will not be able to turn the hands when it is running although the second hand works. This watch needs service to repair this problem.
    Thank you very much for that, just what I needed. I know you say it needs a service, but can you tell me what and where to look inside the watch. I tinker a bit and have many watch tools to do so with. Thanks again.
    Steve

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

take the movement out of the case
    take off the hands
    take off the dial
    take off the canon pinion
    put something inside the canon pinion to prevent you from sqeezing it shut
    use something (ie finger nail clippers) to pinch it at the right spot near the bottom .. don't pinch it too much
    put it back on and test
    retry as necessary

Here's an article which describes the motion works pretty well.
    http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...horologium0039

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steveluigi View Post
    Hi there. I have purchased a Sekonda Autodate Deluxe 29 jewel wristwatch I think from the 50s or 60s.
    If you're interested, here's a little bit about your watch.

In 1966, the Soviet watch industry agency ChasProm introduced 'Sekonda' as an export brand for all Soviet watch factories. Your watch was one of the first. It was made by the 1st Moscow Watch Factory and was sold with the Poljot brand on domestic and some export markets. The movement is the calibre 2416, which was a 2nd generation version of the Rodina movement which was the USSR's first automatic watch. The Deluxe in the gold case was the highest grade Soviet dress-watch of its era.

Shortly after the launch of Sekonda, 1st Moscow superseded their 24mm calibres with a new 26mm thin-line range. The automatic version had 30 jewels and it was somewhat less robust than your watch. In 1972 they reverted back to a design fairly similar to the older 24mm's but with a 26mm diameter, faster escapement and simplified construction. Those calibres remain in production to this day.

After the break-up of the USSR in 1992, the watch industry was decentralized and privatized in a haphazard way. A year later, Sekonda UK, owners of the Sekonda brand, ceased buying from Russia and Belarus. Their current range are sourced entirely from China.

Thread Information