Help with watch (Anker) and movement identification
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By Vintage1982

Thread: Help with watch (Anker) and movement identification

Help with watch (Anker) and movement identification

I bought this alleged ‘wreck’ primarily to have another demonstration object for my Geiger counter, without bothering too much what it is and from when. It really let’s the needle swing on alpha particles, beta particles and gamma rays.

But then, it showed surprisingly good readings on the time scale. Of course, I could not resist to open the back to see what movement it has inside, so different from the outside appearance.

There is absolutely no marking on the movement whatsoever to lead me any further, not a number, nothing. The only exception: It says 20 jewels, but it's marked 21 jewels outside on the dial. I guess the movement had been swapped at some stage (perhaps with a spacer to make it fit), and most likely also the crown.

The diameter is about 22mm, which would be 9.75’’’ (lines). Beats per second on the timegrapher: 18.000. I went up and down and sideways (plus advanced search) in the Ranfft database, but had to finally give up and come here for possible help. I also found nothing reliable on the Anker brand, there is just to much with that designation around. And finally, that logo on the case back is something I have never seen before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 29th, 2016 at 13:31.
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Help with watch (Anker) and movement identification

The holes on the movement and the look of the hands tell me that this is >supposed< to have an center second hand (with a another wheel coming off an extended pinion on the 3rd wheel, meshing with the second hand pinion, and all secured by center-second bridge. Is there room in the case for this?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    The holes on the movement and the look of the hands tell me that this is >supposed< to have an center second hand (with a another wheel coming off an extended pinion on the 3rd wheel, meshing with the second hand pinion, and all secured by center-second bridge. Is there room in the case for this?
    Oh dear, life is a lifelong learning process! I guess you are right. I do not want to take the watch further apart than to remove the back inhouse on my watchmaker workbench. I usually do that with radium contaminated dials only in my workshop in the garage, but it has the present outside temperatures which are not so pleasant. But looking through the microscope and the a bit intransparant acrylic crystal, it seems that the seconds hand is missing. That's a totally different thing then... Thanks for pointing that out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like an AS to me but who am I? :) This looks like a case for Capt. Setbridge to save the day.
    Border-Reiver likes this.
    -The days of the digital watch are numbered.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

"Anker" branded watches were often German watches. The movement is a real rara avis, a Cal. 1050 SC by GUBA (Uhrenrohwerke Gustav Bauer KG, from Ellmendingen, close to Pforzheim):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Guba 1050(SC)

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    "Anker" branded watches were often German watches. The movement is a real rara avis, a Cal. 1050 SC by GUBA (Uhrenrohwerke Gustav Bauer KG, from Ellmendingen, close to Pforzheim):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Guba 1050(SC)

Hartmut Richter
    That's weird because the Super Shock is a Swiss shock protection system.
    -The days of the digital watch are numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage1982 View Post
    That's weird because the Super Shock is a Swiss shock protection system.
    ...which could as well have been imported or produced locally under a license.
    The dial also states "Super Shockproof", not Super Shock... and there's just "shockproof" on the case back. So it may be, that it's a different shock device, just extremely similar- sometimes it isn't that easy to determine that. It looks kind of similar to the Foerster shock device (a German one alright), but these I'd expect to find in Foerster movements.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information