Help with Watch ID?

Thread: Help with Watch ID?

Help with Watch ID?

Hey guys, I'm a little new to this but my dad is pretty good with watches but suggested I get some advice from you guys :)

Basically I was in the charity shop and I managed to find a cute little watch.

When I got it home and looked further it said "17 Jewel" I remembered seeing this on my dads Rolex once and had a further look. It says "New Sun" and "Lucky Star"

I'll upload a picture as soon as I can get my camera working.

On the front it looks like a star with a circular clockface and on the back its a 1900 liberty coin.

Any ideas guys?

EDIT:

Picture here http://yfrog.com/2oiphone241j

Upon further inspection it has a signature on the inside of "MP 4x99"

Does this mean anything?
    Last edited by bexygh; July 1st, 2010 at 00:27. Reason: adding picture/more info

Re: Help with Watch ID?

Hard to tell from phone camera pics but 17 jewels usually indicates a mechanical winder from the 20's to 60's.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bexygh View Post
    Hey guys, I'm a little new to this but my dad is pretty good with watches but suggested I get some advice from you guys :)

Basically I was in the charity shop and I managed to find a cute little watch.

When I got it home and looked further it said "17 Jewel" I remembered seeing this on my dads Rolex once and had a further look. It says "New Sun" and "Lucky Star"

I'll upload a picture as soon as I can get my camera working.

On the front it looks like a star with a circular clockface and on the back its a 1900 liberty coin.

Any ideas guys?

EDIT:

Picture here http://yfrog.com/2oiphone241j

Upon further inspection it has a signature on the inside of "MP 4x99"

Does this mean anything?
    A friend of mine owns a Newsun LuckyStar wristwatch with a 23 jewel Bettlach pin-lever movement (one of the better Swiss 'cheap' movements). Gold-tone plated brass case, screw-down steel back. It was made in Hong Kong in the 1970s. My guess is that your watch is of similar quality, vintage and origin.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    A friend of mine owns a Newsun LuckyStar wristwatch with a 23 jewel Bettlach pin-lever movement (one of the better Swiss 'cheap' movements). Gold-tone plated brass case, screw-down steel back. It was made in Hong Kong in the 1970s. My guess is that your watch is of similar quality, vintage and origin.
    That sounds interesting, do you have any more info on the company? I can't seem to find any online :)

The second hand moves very smoothly and it is a windup one. Excuse the noobish phrases, like I said, I haven't been a watch person before :) On the inside it says 'Unadjusted'.

There is a nice article here about adjustments:

http://trusted-forwarder.org/elgin/t...justments.html
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

That sounds interesting, do you have any more info on the company? I can't seem to find any online :)
    Unfortunately I drew a blank when I went searching about a year ago.

In the 1970s, Hong Kong had the world's fastest growing watch industry. This was also the time in which quartz digial watches were becoming available, and Hong Kong was set to become a world leader in the production of the cheaper end of the digital market. What this meant was brands that sprung up like mushrooms and disappeared just as quickly. I reckon Newsun was just another mushroom.

The overall impression that I got from my friend's watchwas that it was a cut above the other Hong Kong mechanical watches of its era. And the gold-coloured case was of noticibly higher quality than later Hong Kong watches. Most likely the mechanical parts of your watch watch will be good, simple, robust parts, and (presuming it has not been damaged) properly serviced it should last a lifetime.

I like the way your 'Lucky Star' really is star-shaped. If you can take some more, clearer pictures, I'd like to se them.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Unfortunately I drew a blank when I went searching about a year ago.

In the 1970s, Hong Kong had the world's fastest growing watch industry. This was also the time in which quartz digial watches were becoming available, and Hong Kong was set to become a world leader in the production of the cheaper end of the digital market. What this meant was brands that sprung up like mushrooms and disappeared just as quickly. I reckon Newsun was just another mushroom.

The overall impression that I got from my friend's watchwas that it was a cut above the other Hong Kong mechanical watches of its era. And the gold-coloured case was of noticibly higher quality than later Hong Kong watches. Most likely the mechanical parts of your watch watch will be good, simple, robust parts, and (presuming it has not been damaged) properly serviced it should last a lifetime.

I like the way your 'Lucky Star' really is star-shaped. If you can take some more, clearer pictures, I'd like to se them.
    I went to a watch shop today and he dated it between 1920 and 1940, does this sound like a good estimate?

And the star shape is what interested me. I love things like this :)

I went to a watch shop today and he dated it between 1920 and 1940, does this sound like a good estimate?
    No. Its most likely 1970's, as Chascomm has already indicated. There were no watches made in Hong Kong in the 1920 - 1940 period; very few watches back then had 17 jewels; and the style is inappropriate for that period as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    No. Its most likely 1970's, as Chascomm has already indicated. There were no watches made in Hong Kong in the 1920 - 1940 period; very few watches back then had 17 jewels; and the style is inappropriate for that period as well.
    It doesn't say anywhere "Made in Hong Kong"

But it says New Sun and Lucky Star. Chascomm is a moderator in the Chinese watch forum - he knows what he's talking about.

Thread Information