help. what watsh is it?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By forzabianco
  • 2 Post By mkws

Thread: help. what watsh is it?

help. what watsh is it?

Hello, I got this watch after my grand grandfather. I've never been into watches, but I kinda want to keep and use this one, because it's from a man who had really interesting life and killed many ..... and than even more comrads. And since I spent last few days trying to find out what it is and how to restore it, I really felt in love with it and old pocket watches all together. It's a new, fascinating world for me :) can someone please give me some advise about how to find out what it is and the best way to restore it? and no bids please, as I sad, it's a memory, one of few, of a man I admired, so not for sale.
    Name:  _MG_1583.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  531.5 KBName:  _MG_1585.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  593.6 KBName:  _MG_1587.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  651.0 KBName:  _MG_1588.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  2.26 MBName:  _MG_1589.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  735.2 KBName:  _MG_1590.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  928.8 KBName:  _MG_1595.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  949.5 KB
    As you see, I already took out movement thing, case is being cleaned at this moment. As I don't know what is it made of, I didn't want to use chemical stuff, so it's swiming in cocacola :D allready cleaner, so I can see some more numbers scratched in to it, will make some photo tomorrow. movement is totally dead, hairspring looks broken :( but if it could be made about 150 years ago, I am sure it can be reapired in 21st century :)
    badbackdan likes this.

Re: help. what watsh is it?

Generic Lepine V layout. Nicely decorated, although it still somewhat falls behind the lever escapement ones.

Wouldn't be bad, if not for the sorry condition. Although, on second thoughts, it's not in a sorry condition. It's in a bloody awful condition. Parts will need replacing, and the thing is, that a donor movement won't really help much, and there are no spare parts - manufacturers often modified them enough to rule out any interchangeability of components. That said, it's likely that you'd pay more for having one spare part made, than you would for a fully operational watch like that.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

thanks for your reply. It was hidden, than lost or forgotten, in the addic, for about 60 years. I know reapiering will cost more than buing one just like that, but I don't want one just like that, I want this one. Also, any idea when and by whom it was made?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A short edit: missed one detail, it does have a lever escapement. Not bad, not bad. Just ran low on caffeine, impairing my powers of observation. More than decent, actually, this movement is...or was. If it wasn't rusted all throughout. Guess its sad condition is just what makes it look ghastly. Oh, by the way - I would suggest not using Coca-Cola, as later on you'll need to wash off the sticky residue, and upon exposing it to water, rust will kick in again. That said, it might make things worse.

No idea who made the whole watch - never heard of any maker with the initials J.E.P., maybe someone else will know. Mikrolisk doesn't list any results for that.

The Lepine V was produced between 1850 and 1870 (from 1870, mostly stem-wind instead of key wind and set). The "blancs", i.e. the "raw" ebauches supplied to individual watch manufacturers for finishing, were mostly made by Japy Freres in France, and by FHF in Switzerland, however there were some other ebauche suppliers as well - there's no telling which one made this particular movement. For that matter, it's hard to tell even as much as if it's French or Swiss...

I'm not saying "buy another one", I'm just saying what sort of repair costs you may encounter, assuming that someone will agree to try restoring it. You'll also likely need a jeweller to attend to that case, and the dial will need a proper cleaning. Oh, and if it was in the attic, looks like the roof needs some repairs :)
    Last edited by mkws; September 10th, 2017 at 04:10.
    badbackdan and bsshog40 like this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks. Actually, guy died unexpectadly, before repairing the roof :D and I'm pretty sure he was not the one who put it there. His doughter married a hardcore comunist, who basically threw away everithing he new was from evil west, and what he wasn't sure where it came from, he threw on the attic with bad roof.
    coca-cola worked well, I got rid of most of a dirt, now I'm taking it to some jewelry for some adwise how to clean and shine the rest :)

Finding parts will be the trick or if you really want to dig down deep having them made, you don't need a jeweler for the movement you need a watchmaker.

look like one way or another this is fun for a long time to come :D

Generic watches were engraved by apprentices and graduate watchmakers in Switzerland schools. So it can be a kind of these works.
    Watchmaking underground
    German Polosin

you mean engraving on the movement parts? sorry for questions about basics, I'm really new to this

Quote Originally Posted by tmessenger View Post
    Finding parts will be the trick or if you really want to dig down deep having them made, you don't need a jeweler for the movement you need a watchmaker.
    A jeweller will be needed, but for the case- which is in a pretty rough shape. The movement will have to be taken care of by a watchmaker alright.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Thread Information