Helva -Does anyone know about this brand?

Thread: Helva -Does anyone know about this brand?

Helva -Does anyone know about this brand?

I got this new old stock Helva mechanical manual winding watch for my wife recently, it is of course in new condition and is really beautiful on a feminine wrist.The steel band and watch case is made in the same attractive design. I have not been able to find much information of the Helva brand on the net and I am hoping someone can shed some light on the brand history, and maybe on this model in particular.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Re: Helva -Does anyone know about this brand?

Hi -

I, too, took a gander at finding more and have come across absolutely nothing.

The only thing that *might* help would be to get a picture of the movement to place the date of manufacture into a ball-park sized slot.

My take is that it is one of the innumerable - by that I mean that nobody *really* knows how many there were - Swiss companies that failed to manage to survive the quartz invasion. I've got a number of orphans from that time period, some of which were very nice, but I haven't been able to find out anything about them, despite my best efforts (I spent almost 4 hours online trying to find out who made my "Nomad" watch, even getting into the Swiss registry for trademarks, etc.).

It *looks* like something from the 1970s, what with those beautifually machined psychedelic swirls. Knowing the calibre inside will let us help you identify whether the watch can be properly maintained: if it is a mainstream calibre, then there will be spare parts around. If not, then you may be out of luck and any sort of repairs and maintenance will be an increasing nightmare...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

stuffler,mike

There´s not much to add to John´s post.

For sure Helva was a swiss brand, most watches I found on ebay are originating from the 60ties to 70ties. Maybe Helva is kinda acronym for Helvetia which in the past stood for Switzerland.
    Didn´t find Helva in my "library".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks John and Mike. I will try to get a picture of the movement, although it must be tiny in that 16x17 mm case. The current (mechanical) range from ETA does not have anything that would be small enough, I believe.

There really is nothing much on the net, have tried both 'uhren' and 'montres'. The only remotely interesting was to an outdated ebay ad (no pics anymore) for a Helva chronograph apparently with Venus 210 movement.
    I did think of that acronym as well :)

Regards
    Erik

It took a while but here is a picture of the movement. It seems to be an AS 1977 (Durowe 1977) at 5.75 x 6.75''', that's the nearest match I could find. The production date beween 1965-1972 seems to match the case and band design as well. I am sure someone out there would be able to debate this :thanks

Erik_H

Thread Information