Helvetia
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Helvetia

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Helvetia

An odd one for me. A smaller men's watch from the 30s I believe.

Name:  1149.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  185.5 KB
    Not to bad under the crystal. The second hand was lose but was easy to put back.

Name:  1150.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  136.6 KB
    This actually surprised me. The case is made of thick stainless steal so it must have been a expensive watch in the day.

Name:  1151.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  204.6 KB
    The movement has chock protection of some kind but first time I have seen this one.

I found a similar Helvetia on the bay but they are asking silly money for it but then maybe I should as well so give me $300 and it could be yours...
    Vintage Helvetia Military Pilot Watch from The 1930'S | eBay

Re: Helvetia

I wouldn't want to insult a friend by only offering $300.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    An odd one for me. A smaller men's watch from the 30s I believe.

Name:  1149.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  185.5 KB
    Not to bad under the crystal. The second hand was lose but was easy to put back.

Name:  1150.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  136.6 KB
    This actually surprised me. The case is made of thick stainless steal so it must have been a expensive watch in the day.

Name:  1151.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  204.6 KB
    The movement has chock protection of some kind but first time I have seen this one.

I found a similar Helvetia on the bay but they are asking silly money for it but then maybe I should as well so give me $300 and it could be yours...
    Vintage Helvetia Military Pilot Watch from The 1930'S | eBay
    Shum likes this.

$400...SOLD!!!

Na, one wonders how anyone could make a watch like this into some military pilot watch?

My watch is even more special as it was on the wrist of one of the pilots in the 1933 New York big ape incident where he tragically got to close to the mammal and was squashed like a bug in his plane. The watch survived the fall however thanks to it's heavy stainless steel casing and only suffered some minor cracks in the crystal and the second hand was knocked loose.

Now if you believe that...
    Last edited by Shum; August 25th, 2015 at 23:40.
    Habitant, busmatt and Old_Tractor like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, of course I believe you. But will you guarantee its authenticity? Some kind of certificate, possibly with some gold foiled lettering would work for me. Don't change the glass, it's authentic, too. And knock that hand off again, will you? I want it just the way it was when the archeologists found it in tucked up under the controls of Lindbergh's plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    $400...SOLD!!!

Na, one wonders how anyone could make a watch like this into some military pilot watch?

My watch is even more special as it was on the wrist of one of the pilots in the 1933 New York big ape incident where he tragically got to close to the mammal and was squashed like a bug in his plane. The watch survived the fall however thanks to it's heavy stainless steel casing and only suffered some minor cracks in the crystal and the second hand was knocked loose.

Now if you believe that...
    Shum and saxoo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Well, of course I believe you. But will you guarantee its authenticity? Some kind of certificate, possibly with some gold foiled lettering would work for me. Don't change the glass, it's authentic, too. And knock that hand off again, will you? I want it just the way it was when the archeologists found it in tucked up under the controls of Lindbergh's plane.
    Heck I'll even get honest Abe to sign the certificate for you with one of them sparkling Barbie pens then I can climb to the top of the Empire state building and drop it as to recreate the damage.

Did you know that Himmler sent a team of pygmy SS men to the US just before the war to find it? The watch would have made Der Führer invincable against the French but thank God he didn't get his wrist on it!!! They got lost in the underground and were never seen again and are to this day hunted by the Immigration Services and the IRS.

If you live in or visit New York and happen on one of these little SS men be a patriot and contact the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423).
    Last edited by Shum; August 26th, 2015 at 00:48.
    busmatt and saxoo like this.

Very nice! The movement looks like a inhouse Helvetia 900 movement but with an indirect sweep second, like this one. Probably a predecessor so 30's would be very much possible. The shock protection is certainly Helvetia's own design.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Helvetia 900
    busmatt and Shum like this.

Looks a good all original piece with no signs of shoddy tinkering going on,great score!

(i tend to look at the stem release screw,and if it has been "counter sunk" by the wrong size of screwdriver being used,usually a sure sign that some one less qualified has been in there,but this one looks good.)
    busmatt and Shum like this.

Great stuff to know. What one can't see in the pictures is that there is a dust cover that goes over the movement that acts like a movement holder at the same time.

Yes, indeed, joking aside, it's lovely watch. I'd love to see how it comes up with a new crystal. And the strap… are these chain straps really popular in Sweden or something? I seem to see them all the time there, never elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Yes, indeed, joking aside, it's lovely watch. I'd love to see how it comes up with a new crystal. And the strap… are these chain straps really popular in Sweden or something? I seem to see them all the time there, never elsewhere.
    They sure were and I have a bunch of them if you want and they are massive steal but they grow on you and are very comfy. I could see the police confiscating a watch with this type of bracelet though as they can be used as weapons. The early ones like this one are the ones to get as they are hocked on to one of the spring bars or as on many watches of the day fixed strap holders making it very rugged. The later chains have clasps like modern bracelets and don't look as cool.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information