Helvetia automatic, swismade, stainless steel
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hessu

Thread: Helvetia automatic, swismade, stainless steel

Helvetia automatic, swismade, stainless steel

So I have found my grandfathers Helvetia. You can see pictures below. It works, I do not know how to open the back lid. Watch ticks and it is in considerably good shape. It has to be older than 40 years. I culd not find exact match on the internet. If some of you could be so kind to identify the watch for me and estimatr the value if possible, i would be very gratefull! Thanks in advance :).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Helvetia automatic, swismade, stainless steel

We can't give you a valuation, sorry. It's against the rules. I would say that the watch is from 1950s-1960s. Maybe the production years of the movement will help narrow that, with an accuracy to some nearest 5 years... Well, depends on the movement. As to opening the caseback, it's a press-in back, and there should be an opening "lip", by which you lift the back- but it has to be done with a watchmaker's knife (If you plan to collect vintage watches, get this, and a case wrench). If you do not have the tools necessary, or you don't feel like you can do it yourself, a watchmaker will do that for you- just make sure he doesn't ask any money for that! It's usually free, but sometimes the more greedy ones do ask for money for opening the case- avoid them.
    Helvetia, as far as I know, was once the property of Omega, as both originated from Brandt's General Watch Co.
    Quite early, both brands went separate ways. Helvetia did make movements of their own, but here I'd rather expect a generic automatic movement by either ETA, Felsa, or AS.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: Helvetia automatic, swismade, stainless steel

Helvetia is not a brand associated with Omega. Omega founder Louis Brandt did once use the name before Omega was Omega. Name was used as model name, not as brand name. Also Omega was first a modelname. Names like cities (Geneve) or countries (Helvetia = latin for Switzerland) are open names and anybody can use them.

This is late 60's or early 70's watch.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

Thread Information