Hep identifying first of my small collection
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Hep identifying first of my small collection

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hep identifying first of my small collection

I've done a fair bit of searching and keep coming back to here. I've inherited a few pocket watches and old wrist watches. I'm most interested in finding out a bit more information on this pocket watch. All I can tell you is it was purchased somewhere round the 30's by my great grandfather. The pictures are not great, the case is made by Dennison and has a case number of 280628.
    I'm unsure where to find the actual movement serial number. I hope I don't annoy anyone with my ignorance, I'm a newbie when it comes to watches.Name:  Mechanism sm.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  235.5 KBName:  Front sm.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  135.3 KBName:  Case sm.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  109.8 KB

Re: Hep identifying first of my small collection

Hi and welcome
    First we can not tell anything from the case serial number, sadly all records have gone.
    But it appears you have a Rolex pocket watch.
    Rolex made a few pocket watches, but I thought not as late as 30s.

at first, I thought maybe barrel wheel had just been replaced with a 'Rolex' one, but the double sunk dial looks extra quality.
    Movement is not Aegler, who were Rolex's standard movement maker

Some research needed
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; August 10th, 2014 at 12:17.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Of course Hi and welcomed

This movement was build by buren 1916-1923. This swiss manufacture was owned by H. Williamson Ltd. London / England. This explains the Dennison case and proberbly it was put together in england (duties). A nice really watch and heirloom.

Kind regards Silke

Addition:
    UPS: I didn't read what was writen on the barrel wheel because I was quite sure on the first sight with buren...compared some screws and wheel positions all things match and the dennison case also. This wheel is probably replaced or wrong marked afterwards. I'll check
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 10th, 2014 at 12:58.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

The case appears to have a hallmark which would give a closer approximation to the purchase date - but I can't see it well enough to be able to guess.

I've made a short research about Rolex and Bueren. Williamson and Wilsdorf have been both customers by aegler. I've seen on Ebay another simular marked watch. In the prichard there is writen that bueren sold some simple movements also to Wilstorf in the beginning 1920 ties. Therefore this seems to be original but not really a Rolex quite more a Buren.

Kind regards Silke

I'm a bit skeptical about the "Rolex" wheel...the size of the text seems odd, the font is different then the font on the crown wheel, and it seems odd that they would mark the wheel but not the dial; Rolex has always been brand-conscious. But could have been a small purchase to meet demand during the depression. It's an American style case and movement (i.e., the crown and stem are part of the case, not part of the movement. Not sure if Aegler even made movements like that? If not, that might explain the decision to purchase them; so as to leave no market un-exploited.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I'm sure that the movement is the buren and I'm sure about the production time of this movement. I don't have any doubt and thus while "probably" is one of my most used words. I believe Kathleen Prichard if she write that Wilstorf and Davis sell during that aerea a few simple buren as well. A buren in a Dennison case is a typical combination. On the other side nothing is easier to fake than thus weels. It's something I will never understand. This is 100% a classic typical buren and where is the difference if it was sold by Williamson or W&D. Thus is seems to be a big difference and many new marked weels are running around because buren produced a quite high amound of this watches. THe Rolex/Buren if found had identical wheels but who knows about their orgin. It maybe right or done in fact: Just kidding.

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 10th, 2014 at 16:12.

Hi there,

the movement is a Revue 31. It's not yet in my archive because my sample is out for repair. But except the negative crown mechanism it is equivalent to the Revue 30:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Revue 30 hunter
    Here for comarison the open-face version with the same bridge layout:

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    I've made a short research about Rolex and Bueren. Williamson and Wilsdorf have been both customers by aegler. I've seen on Ebay another simular marked watch. In the prichard there is writen that bueren sold some simple movements also to Wilstorf in the beginning 1920 ties. Therefore this seems to be original but not really a Rolex quite more a Buren.

Kind regards Silke
    Silke
    Yes all you say here is correct.
    It is surely a 'Rolex'made by Buren circa 1925/6

Well remembered
    A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Hu Roland,
    if you're right than its definetly made. You are the expert and master of calibers but in this case you've to help me. I just see that the anchor bridge is a little more straigt and the balance coc runs straight. But the balance is usually not so strong by revue as by this watch. Here is the movement list out of the Buren book from Hans Kocher / Büren:

Name:  burengr.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  152.5 KB

A curious Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 10th, 2014 at 18:14.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information