Heres my latest RR Pocket Watch

Thread: Heres my latest RR Pocket Watch

Heres my latest RR Pocket Watch

Hi there,
    Just picked this one up, It is my 2nd Ball Hamilton 999B, this one being real late in them about 1952, and the first one I believe to be about 1944.
    Enjoy,
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Heres my latest RR Pocket Watch

Interesting that it has a 24hr dial; would that have been sold into Canada or were they accepting 24hr markers at that point?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Interesting that it has a 24hr dial; would that have been sold into Canada or were they accepting 24hr markers at that point?
    According to my research, 24-hour dials were never part of American regulations. But they were required by law in Canada. Some watchmakers/railroad men would go cheap on this. They'd buy a 12-digit watch and then add the additional 12 digits onto the crystal, instead of forking out the extra cash to buy an actual 24-hour dial.

My own Ball RR watch from the 50s also has a Canadian-style 24-hour dial.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi all,
    I believe this was in Canadian Service, the interesting thing is, my first one is in a Canadian Sturdy case, I believe due to tariffs imposed if it was in an American case at the time, and this one being much later is in the case it was produced in, being the Ball Model Keystone case.
    To deal with the Canadian RR dials, as much as they were more popular in Canadian service, and were accepted into Cdn. service they were not a requirement, I was also under the impression they were allowed into the US systems at some time later. It was like the roman numerals, as they were used in the Cdn. system, for quite awhile after they were banned out of the US systems.
    I only wish the Ball watches were more available, as I think they are very well made watches. As of now I have the 2 Ball Hamiltons 999B, 1 Waltham 19j ORS, 1 17j Ball commercial standard, 1 16j Ball commercial standard, and a 19j Ball Illinois 12s.
    Bill

That's a beauty. Love it. Looks to be in good shape too!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Thread Information