Here's the package that floored me yesterday!

Thread: Here's the package that floored me yesterday!

Here's the package that floored me yesterday!

I used eSnipe to win this rare 14K Gruen Curvex from an obscure newbie seller who posted very poor pictures. I held my breath as I opened the package, not knowing how deep my disappointment might go. As I said, I was floored to find this gem, which is easily worth double what I paid.

Anyway, I took some quick hand-helds at my desk tonight and picked out a few to share with you.

Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Re: Here's the package that floored me yesterday!

Hi -

Fantastic shape! That's one clean vintage.

What is particularly nice is that the face says both "Curvex" and "Precision". There is some controversy amongst the Gruen collectors about the names that go on the faces: Gruen itself was more often than not very slipshod about this.

There was the problem that you'd have unscruplous watchmakers who'd take a bog standard Precision and replace the face with an original Curvex face that they'd get from Gruen directly as a repair part. After this became a problem - even though you'd think it'd be easy to spot a non-Curvex Curvex, right? for the unsuspecting consumer, wrong - Gruen stopped supplying dials with Curvex & Precision on the face, selling either without the description - i.e. just "Gruen" - or only with Precision. If your watch face needed repairs and you wanted original "Curvex" and "Precision", you'd have to send it in to Gruen to have it done by them for significantly more money.

Hence it's always a good sign to see both: it's OK for just Precision, but Curvex alone is problematic, as it probably was added later. If the movement's a Curvex, then it's ok, but I have seen at least a dozen fake Curvexes (Curvexi?) on eBay where the Curvex is on the face, but it isn't a Curvex calibre inside.

Great catch: you're right that it's worth more.

I'm contemplating looking for one of the so-called General Curvex watches, calibre 303 or 311, that are 20x47mm or even 20x50mm: these are the ones that show extreme curvature. I've found one in gold for €1800 (!), and remember seeing some go on eBay for half that, but not much less. The problem: hope that you can find 2-3 calibres for parts if you're going to be wearing it on a regular basis, since the case doesn't protect the movement worth a damn, and given the age, these are not the easiest movements to live with...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

Fantastic shape! That's one clean vintage.

What is particularly nice is that the face says both "Curvex" and "Precision". There is some controversy amongst the Gruen collectors about the names that go on the faces: Gruen itself was more often than not very slipshod about this.

There was the problem that you'd have unscruplous watchmakers who'd take a bog standard Precision and replace the face with an original Curvex face that they'd get from Gruen directly as a repair part. After this became a problem - even though you'd think it'd be easy to spot a non-Curvex Curvex, right? for the unsuspecting consumer, wrong - Gruen stopped supplying dials with Curvex & Precision on the face, selling either without the description - i.e. just "Gruen" - or only with Precision. If your watch face needed repairs and you wanted original "Curvex" and "Precision", you'd have to send it in to Gruen to have it done by them for significantly more money.

Hence it's always a good sign to see both: it's OK for just Precision, but Curvex alone is problematic, as it probably was added later. If the movement's a Curvex, then it's ok, but I have seen at least a dozen fake Curvexes (Curvexi?) on eBay where the Curvex is on the face, but it isn't a Curvex calibre inside.

Great catch: you're right that it's worth more.

I'm contemplating looking for one of the so-called General Curvex watches, calibre 303 or 311, that are 20x47mm or even 20x50mm: these are the ones that show extreme curvature. I've found one in gold for €1800 (!), and remember seeing some go on eBay for half that, but not much less. The problem: hope that you can find 2-3 calibres for parts if you're going to be wearing it on a regular basis, since the case doesn't protect the movement worth a damn, and given the age, these are not the easiest movements to live with...

JohnF
    Hi John,

Yes, I have seen a few of those longer, more curved Curvex models. Very nice. I was afraid that when I popped the hood on this one it would have a standard Precision movement, so I was really gratified to find it 's a true Curvex. I'm very happy! Now I need to snap a few pictures of that 18K Repco!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The photos speak for themselves - the watch is really marvellous. I just love it.

Would you be so kind, and remove that Quartz from your desk next time you send nice pics ?
    louis

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Would you be so kind, and remove that Quartz from your desk next time you send nice pics ?
    louis
    Ha-ha...and the "JAPAN MOV'T" doesn't add much class either, does it!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Ha-ha...and the "JAPAN MOV'T" doesn't add much class either, does it!
    No,no. Japanese mvnts can be very nice, as long as they are mechanical.

Thread Information