Hi Everyone, West End Watch Co pocket Porclein Dating ang Movement Help Required !!!!

Thread: Hi Everyone, West End Watch Co pocket Porclein Dating ang Movement Help Required !!!!

Exclamation Hi Everyone, West End Watch Co pocket Porclein Dating ang Movement Help Required !!!!

Hi everyone,

I have a West End Watch Co, Pocket watch pictures attached pardon me for d poor quality pics as my cam is spoiled. Wanted ahelp in Dating this pocket watch and also more for completion of the movement as only half of its movement is there here are some of the pictures.
    Name:  IMG-20120403-00152.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  681.7 KBName:  IMG-20120403-00156.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  504.1 KBName:  IMG-20120403-00151.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  508.1 KB Regards Mandar

Re: Hi Everyone, West End Watch Co pocket Porclein Dating ang Movement Help Required !!!!

Interesting.

The basic movement is there and complete. You have a seconds take off on the 4th wheel, which is often seen in chronographs (or centre seconds) watches, but there are no screw holes, locating pin holes or any other indication of missing mechanism.

I think what is most likely is that someone has replaced the 4th wheel with one from a chronograph - and rather than snip off the extended pinion, they have left the extra wheel in place. Good idea, as the chronograph part is no doubt harder to find.

Re: Hi Everyone, West End Watch Co pocket Porclein Dating ang Movement Help Required !!!!

Actually the watch is working gr8 no problem abt it but just wantyed to know weather it can be restored to its original. As per wht I think it has a plate missing on top! is tht the case? If it is a chrono then is tht movement missing???? Help me here as i really have less knowledge abt this! Thanks Trim.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No, as I said - nothing is missing. You have extra parts.

It looks like a plate is missing from the back right enough, see how the regulator has been
    modified so the watch could be regulated if the plate were present, and the holes, recess and
    drive wheel point to this.
    Chrono, calander work? I don't know. will be difficult for anyone to restore without
    the parts.

Thanks Trim and radger for the insights! Wht would be the dating approximately for this watch? And any idea which movement is ther in this???

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    It looks like a plate is missing from the back right enough, see how the regulator has been
    modified so the watch could be regulated if the plate were present, and the holes, recess and
    drive wheel point to this.
    Chrono, calander work? I don't know. will be difficult for anyone to restore without
    the parts.
    Not a chronograph (front reading anyway) The dial is not a chronograph dial, it is an entirely standard dial and hand set. There is no centre seconds possibility with this centre wheel. No one in their right mind would run a calendar off the 4th wheel.

The only other possibility I can conceive (besides the one I mentioned which I still believe) is that there was some animation attached to the back, in the case lip.

Having a photograph of the back of the watch case would mean we don't have to guess, because what ever was displayed was on the back.

Just treat it as a watch with a couple of extra parts.
    Last edited by trim; April 4th, 2012 at 21:45.

I wasn't very clear, whatever the wheel was driving would of course, be read from a dial on the reverse,
    perhaps inside the case back like a hunter. A chronograph dial would be my guess.
    I agree that a calendar is unlikely.

Thread Information