Hoo-wee. Look at the vintage '71 I just 'stole'....lots o omega pics!
Like Tree14Likes
  • 11 Post By DaBaeker
  • 2 Post By gatorcpa
  • 1 Post By DaBaeker

Thread: Hoo-wee. Look at the vintage '71 I just 'stole'....lots o omega pics!

Hoo-wee. Look at the vintage '71 I just 'stole'....lots o omega pics!

[1st-i hope i can do this w/o some wus policy issue. i posted nearly an identical thread in the omega forum since i cut my teeth over there from '08 to '12. i wanted to show this baby off there-though nobody really remembers me when i was regular.]

So...A beautiful nearly pristine '71 chunky connie with the integrated bracelet for so little it almost hurts. ( i actually explained to seller once i saw the minty condition that if he has any more watches to sell he owes it to himself to learn how to take hi-rez images and post the full 12-not 3 blurry images that scare the bejeezus out of most sensible collectors here. i guess morphed my unhealthy risk taking habits into the more innocuous risks of the wild wooly world of vintage watches)

I've been looking to score one of these since I passed up an amazing NOS one 6 yrs ago b4 Omega vintage truly sky-rocketed. It was also a time when these integrated bracelet vintage were not so popular or well liked. Guys wanted the flexibility of switching bands. I just loved the super chunky case design. It goes with-imo-my f300 integrated 'cone' SM.

Long story short: Inexperienced eBay seller takes 3 crappy pics of the '71 connie (with an incredibly hard to photograph textured SS dial to boot). He says it runs well but is not very forthcoming with details. [I thanked him so profusely today that I expected him to crack at least a full sentence. But he just said, "glad you liked it". Oof. Anyway--Most vintage guys would have run miles with blurry pics-no cal. shots and not much description. I was able to place straight lines over the blown up dial to check for font line-up and authenticated original dial. Still not sure why I had the 'hunch' but I went with it and nobody bid after 3days at a $225 start with a $400 BIN. I actually missed the whole damn thing. I thought I blew it and wrote him to ask if he sold or was re-listing. He said he's realist. So I told him I missed the auction @ $225 by a minute, would he take thats? Right Sure he would. @ minutes later he said "sure". period. Thats it. Iv'e been fretting for the 4 days it took to get here that it would be another let-down. But no let-downs today. Today is 'Diamond-in-the-rough' day. Yay.

[my only question for vintage guys here (if anybody knows about Omega bracelets and clasps here) is what do I have in terms of the bracelet clasp? All the other integrated bracelet connie';s I can find pics of from 70s seem to have the pushed up logo with smooth clasp while this clasp has the indented trapezoid logo. Anybody think its not original to watch? Have to say-seller told me it was out of estate from old relative and was never worn and not likely had a clasp replacement but I'm not a clasp expert. I always thought these went on some speedies? Whatever. I'm too pleased to actually worry about the clasp style-which I like anyway. I have at least half a dozen of the more regular style vintage 60s-70s clasps. Any help much appreciated.

So-Here's what I got today:
    Click this bar to view the original image of 994x1024px.

the bracelet: does it go with this connie?

Click this bar to view the original image of 974x1024px.

unmolested caseback:
    Click this bar to view the original image of 728x1024px.

the last elegant omega bridge -imho- from the heyday of mass marketed swiss luxury watches:

Click this bar to view the original image of 980x1024px.

cal. 1001, serial 33,xxx,xxx: early '71:
    Click this bar to view the original image of 1019x1019px.

and a very hard dial to photograph -it shoots light everywhere. I don't think its 'rare' but I have not seen very many SS horizontally brushed dials on connie. I've seen many in gold and many in silvered-white. But not really an actual SS colour dial:
    Click this bar to view the original image of 1019x1358px.

Like I said-near mint running and super clean cal. 1001. Much maligned by some has proven to be the last elegant workhorse omega movement before the shift to the cal. 1010-10xx which cut costs and made the movement much less attractive if still robust. I believe that properly serviced cal. 1001s hold up as well as any 50s-70s cal. 5xx-7xx series. Just my 2c. And thanks for paying attention to my attention seeking thread.

:ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Re: Hoo-wee. Look at the vintage '71 I just 'stole'....lots o omega pics!

Nice one, i bet it has a nice weighty feel on the wrist too.
    tempore pulcher

yup. it does. but not quite as heavy as I've imagined it would be over the past 4-5 years of waiting. Its chunkier and 70s 'funkier' but weighs about as much as my '79 Datejust. But definitely heavier then my cal. 751 and cal. 564 'C'cased connies. While I am digging the new weight and feel-if I am honest-the SS brushed dial is taking some getting used to.

One the one hand I absolutely love monochrome watches. Silver on silver. Gold w gold dial, etc. But this particular SS tends to disappear under many different light conditions. Or at least the OMEGA logo and font don't stand out as much as I'd like. I have yet to wear it in the sunlight so I imagine it will appear different under the sun.

*note: I just glanced over at it on the side table in low light and it stood out as a smooth, sleek ,monochromatic, high-70s design 'concept' piece. I'll have to find out who designed the case/integrated bracelet-or if it was Genta? I'm back to being in love with it again ;)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well done DaBaeker,

As you say this is "a diamond day". You added you had a "hunch", many would have passed, but this is when all those countless hours of looking at watches, research and study pay off. Experience counts, you had a feeling about a watch despite bad pics and no movement image and you still went for it.
    May you enjoy it for many years to come.

Regards,

It seems that great minds think alike. I recently purchased the cal. 751 version of this model:

The bracelet itself is identical to yours, but the buckle is just a plain Omega style:

I think your clasp is original Omega, but it may be a factory replacement or put on a bit later by a collector.

According to Mondodec, the designer of this watch was Pierre Moinat. See page 5 of this article:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t91sqt...n%20Models.pdf

The bezel on some of these steel integrated bracelet models were solid 18K white gold. I found this out by discovering this site that copied many of the original entries from the Omega Vintage Database that contained valuable information about alternate case metals and small details not available elsewhere.

Cal751_ST368.0845 - Naligazone.com

Not sure if bezel on yours is gold or not. Could be.

FWIW, I paid about the same for mine as you did for yours. It needed a good cleaning and a proper Omega crown. Now it runs as good as it looks.

Hope yours is that way also,
    gatorcpa
    mikmis and thoth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post
    Well done DaBaeker,

As you say this is "a diamond day". You added you had a "hunch", many would have passed, but this is when all those countless hours of looking at watches, research and study pay off. Experience counts, you had a feeling about a watch despite bad pics and no movement image and you still went for it.
    May you enjoy it for many years to come.

Regards,
    thnx JA. I was wondering if any on this vintage forum or omega wus saw this connie listed at $300-$900 less then all the comparable models with excellent pics and fully detailed descriptions and just thought, "no friggn way!" I know it had (supposedly) 5 watchers but not a single bidder at $225/BIN $400. I always tell eBay skeptics its all about buying the seller and doing thew research. I don't always have this type of luck but even if I had paid the full $400-it would not have been over-priced. I can honestly say I have had so few unpleasant experiences on eBay and I've been buying and selling for over 15yrs. I had one buyer balk at men and I had one watch that was pictured as perfect but came rusted. Both were amicably resolved.

In fact-while I don't get all my vintage on eBay I can say that I did win all 5 (now 4) of my vintage constellations on eBay. They are all 100% original, and in exc. cold. My earliest connie turned out to have a NOS dial replaced. it was a big controversy at the time. Many thought: redial. Many said 100%. In the end Desmond settled it by staying it may very well be an authentic black dial from a connie but it wasn't from my connie as the last 'n' in Constellation was in the style of the post 1970 connie and mine is a '68. I still wear it often.
    busmatt likes this.

Thread Information