Hooked

Thread: Hooked

Hooked

Hi all,

Ive been hoarding watches for about 2 years now. Most of my collection are inexpensive fashion watches. So far I have 2.5 SottoMarino Italias, a Hurlingham, a Luccien Piccard, an Invicta Auto Prodiver, a G-Shock, and a couple Kenneth Coles. I was recently given my first, "vintage", watch and ive fallen in love with this era of watches. I love the bubble acrylic crystal. Its a Webster Mechanical no serial number or model name that i could find. It reads swiss made on the dial. Its a base metal case that is showing some surface rust at the case lift opening. So im assuming its been opened before i did. Possible Service? Ive not been able to find much about the brand. On the inside of the case back it is stamped, "Ferex S.A. Case Swiss Made", I believe its about 40-45 years old the trademark Ferex died in 1971. if any other info yall maybe able to pass on to me would be much appreciated. Here are some pictures of it. I put a cheap band on in until i decide what direction i want to go with it. i was thinking a thin soft bull strap or ostrich.

As you can see is pretty clean. It runs a little fast from what I can tell about 2 mins a day. Anyways im in love with it and i'm in the process of buying a few more of this age from its prievious owner. Seiko Auto Gold filled, Timex mechanical Gold filled and a Gruen that appers to be a bit older. If ya'll could point me in the direction of similar vintage watch brands to look out for in comparable value(50-100). ive been looking at some vintage Soviet and German aviator and U-boat styles as well.

Cheers
    Brandon

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Hooked

Welcome to the forum Brandon!

Can't say I can tell you much except that is isn't much older if at all then early seventies from the hands. Someone might recognise the calibre, but it might help to know what is written on it.

I wasn't aware that the German Navy had special U Boat issue, but I know little about military. I would certainly search around before you lay out too much cash on vintage watches as your prices may be a little on the high side unless the watches are in good, serviced order.

The movement says Ferex S.A. Cal. 1217 one jewel. it doesnt look like other Mechaincal movements I've seen. To me it seems that it has less fit and finish incomparison to some mechaincal Bulovas and Movados and looks more like a Timex style movement or chinese mechanicals of today.

As far as German Navy watch, It was more of a generalization. I've been trollin ebay for the past couple days and the U-boat and submarine theme seems to significant. I like Invicta's midsize Russian diver and i was kind of looking for some thing like that, but with some age and character ].
    -Invicta 8926A-SottoMarino Italia Grand SubAqueo Chrono SM200015A
    -Luccien Piccard 28166BK-Casio Gshock GA100-
    -Poljot Chrono-
    More to come....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank for the quick reply and a warm welcome
    -Invicta 8926A-SottoMarino Italia Grand SubAqueo Chrono SM200015A
    -Luccien Piccard 28166BK-Casio Gshock GA100-
    -Poljot Chrono-
    More to come....

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Looks like a Ronda 1217 pin lever movement

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Ronda 1217 For this sort of watch I'd be thinking of knocking a zero off the values you were talking about, but we don't discuss valuations here, so you need to make up your own mind.

Well the guys over in the Ukraine will be more than happy to knock you up a German U Boat watch, special issue for the secret aircraft division of the U Boat command and charge you hundreds of dollars for allowing you to have something so historical and unique. If you want to buy a nice military watch then you need to do your research first as there are plenty of watches which have been modified to meet the demand of people who want such watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Well the guys over in the Ukraine will be more than happy to knock you up a German U Boat watch, special issue for the secret aircraft division of the U Boat command and charge you hundreds of dollars for allowing you to have something so historical and unique. If you want to buy a nice military watch then you need to do your research first as there are plenty of watches which have b.en modified to meet the demand of people who want such watches.
    I just saw a WWII Rocket Korps watch which survived all these years in the Ukraine... The seller says the Rocket Korps were used to attack the Swiss Navy during WWII... Now THAT is a rare one! LOL

As Mirius is saying, German military watches are produced by the Fake Factories of the Ukraine in quantity sufficient to defraud many suckers on eBay and elsewhere. Caveat Emptor.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information