How to adjust time on 1890'ish Columbus Watch?

Thread: How to adjust time on 1890'ish Columbus Watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to adjust time on 1890'ish Columbus Watch?

I have a Columbus Watch Co. engineers pocket watch from the late 1800's. It still works perfectly (wound it yesterday for the first time in 20 years and took it to a watchmaker for an eval), but I'm unsure of the proper way to adjust the time. Pulling out on the crown accomplishes nothing. I can easily access the watch face and am assuming I'm supposed to just push the hands with my finger but, obviously don't want to do that without getting clearance from the experts. I should have asked the watchmaker today but I was so happy to hear it needed no work that I forgot to. Please let me know how to proceed. Thanks

Re: How to adjust time on 1890'ish Columbus Watch?

There is a lever at the edge of the clock face. Pull it away from the watch body. The crown will now set the time.

It was these pocket watches that got me interested in horology... they were built within walking distance of my house.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Maybe I'm describing the wrong watch. This one has a nickel silver case and a latch to access the watch face but no lever to pull around it. It also has a protective plate under the rear cover. The plate is hinged and has only a nail pull to access the movement. The seral number is 193223. The watchman I took it to said it was made between 1888 and 1893. The movement is almost completely un-decorated and simply states the name and location of the company along with "safety pinion". The crystal is raised and is extremely thick.

Sorry for the scan. Can't find the wife's digi-cam. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by Gimmeabreak; February 22nd, 2008 at 06:12. Reason: forgot to add pic

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Open the case at the front over the dial. At approx. 1 o'clock you may see a small lever you can pull with a fingernail.
    Pull that lever out, adjust the time, and push it back.
    My source dates your watch to 1892. If you open the back and photograph the movement we may be able to tell you more.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Here are some pics. Camera sucks.

Sorry, but I've gone over every inch of it and there is no lever. Is it possible it was broken off?

The lever is accessed via the front, not the back. Flip up the crystal and it should be where Ray described.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Bottom pic was taken with crystal raised and shows the 1:00 position. It's just not there, I swear.

OK I think I have it. You need a key to adjust the hands by opening up the front of the case and turning the square nut in the center of the dial.
    Normally you see that in keywind units, but this appears to be key set and stem wind. Strange.
    Looks like a 7J movement to me. Certainly a pre-1894 18S.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; February 22nd, 2008 at 20:11.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Ray MacDonald- I was elated to finally have the mystery solved...until I looked at the stem :(. Theres no way anything would attach to it and turn the stem. It's just a standard stem, no different than my Elgin or Waltham.

Thanks you all so much for your help though. If anyone else has any more suggestions, I'm game to try. I don't plan on carrying this watch, I just enjoy the soothing sound of the movement (it's very loud). Regardless, it's fun to try and solve the puzzle.

No you don't turn the stem. You put the square key over the square nut on the dial and turn the hands. It's just like my normal keywind keyset Hampden from 1983.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information