How can I acquire a pocket watch similar to the one in "Photographing Fairies"?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By Border-Reiver

Thread: How can I acquire a pocket watch similar to the one in "Photographing Fairies"?

How can I acquire a pocket watch similar to the one in "Photographing Fairies"?

On our wedding day, I would love to give my fiance' a pocket watch similar to the silver antique watch seen in the movie "Photographing Fairies." It includes a music box which plays the Snow Waltz when opened as well as a place for a picture.

I will put up a picture as soon as I learn how, and I will provide links to YouTube videos of the watch and the waltz as soon as I get my post count up.

Thank you for any advice!!

Re: How can I acquire a pocket watch similar to the one in "Photographing Fairies"?

hopeful likes this.

Re: How can I acquire a pocket watch similar to the one in "Photographing Fairies"?

Beautiful! Thank you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The waltz that I'd like to have on the watch can be seen/heard if one searches "Snow Waltz from Photograping Fairies" on YouTube. It's very nice!

I think that the sound of the music box was not really coming from the watch- looks like some sound editing trick to me. The watch shown seems to be a simple hunter (savonette) pocket watch, judging by the large logo on the dial, probably something from the 1960s or 1970s, long after the heyday of pocket watches.

Minute or quarter repeaters, musical watches and features like that are high complications, which are costly, and although movies don't tend to have small budgets, I doubt that they would acquire one just to create an effect, which can be achieved by a bunch of geeks behind the sound mixing equipment, who already were paid for mixing the soundtrack...
    Frankly, the only "music box" watch that I've heard of is one by Ulysse Nardin, playing the tune of Frank Sinatra's Strangers in the Night. If your budget is around 112 grand, then this might be an option. Although there's no place for a picture in that watch...

I think that simply a hunter pocket watch will do. In this case, I'd suggest a vintage one. Brand-wise, Longines, Omega or Zenith would be a good choice- won't be horribly expensive, and all three brands used in-house movements, which kept getting the highest scores at the chronometer competitions held by the Neuchatel Observatory.
    hopeful likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I forgot: Boegli in Switzerland makes musical watches (pocket and wrist). 'Grand Ténor model M100, under pocket watches, is a hunter version (after having made your selection, you have to open the curtain to see the watch by clicking anywhere on the screen):

Home

And here for Pounds 2,900,-- , but it's your wedding gift...

Boegli Grand Ténor M.100 pocket watch
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; February 24th, 2016 at 20:00.
    hopeful likes this.

Did not even consider that the music was created right on the soundtrack. Duh. But that makes perfect sense, mkws. Thank you for your reply and your advice. I must admit 112K is "slightly" out my budget, however I will hang on to the plan a little longer. :)

Thank you so much for the links, Border-Reiver. They are so nice. 2900 pounds converts to a little over $4K... It is my wedding gift after all and would just about be a done deal if the Snow Waltz was on it. Thank you for your help! :)

I now have quite a bit more knowledge and a good place to start looking around. Thank you both very much.

Thread Information